With a GOP-controlled House and Democratic Senate majority in the new Congress, avenues for legislative action will be limited. In fact, narrow margins in both chambers mean that even fundamental legislative activity will be challenging. Nonetheless, the Biden administration will be able to continue pursuing regulatory action to further its health policy priorities, as well as to implement the Inflation Reduction Act and the infrastructure law.
During periods of divided government, congressional focus tends to shift from legislating to oversight, and we anticipate heightened congressional oversight of the private sector, including particular attention on the healthcare industry. That will bring investigations of certain industry practices, followed by high-profile hearings and public reports to build support for legislative priorities.
The panel will discuss:
- Guidance on navigating the new, narrowly divided Congress;
- Opportunities, albeit limited and more challenging, for legislative action;
- Regulatory advocacy opportunities;
- Unwinding the COVID public health emergency and determining which policies and flexibilities remain;
- Opportunities for “earmarks” or community project funding;
- Areas where industry stakeholders should expect to see congressional investigations and hearings this term; and
- What clients can do to prepare for a probing letter from Congress or an invitation to testify on the Hill.
For questions, contact Caroline Wendt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
King & Spalding is an accredited provider of CLE credit in California, Georgia, Illinois, New York and Texas. We can issue reciprocal credit for attorneys licensed in Connecticut, Florida and New Jersey. We will apply for credit in Colorado, North Carolina and Virginia (subject to MCLE Board approval). For jurisdictions not listed, attendees are provided with a Universal Certificate of Attendance. New York licensed attorneys: Transitional/Appropriate for newly admitted and experienced attorneys. Financial aid is available for qualifying lawyers. For CLE-related questions, please contact Gisel Arias at email@example.com. King & Spalding, 1180 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, GA 30309. CA Provider #10947.