King & Spalding Hosts FCPA Summit in Houston
Monday, May 4, 2015, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Make plans to join King & Spalding for a unique two-day learning experience ideal for professionals seeking to elevate their FCPA knowledge and practical skills through active learning. The FCPA Institute is taught by Professor Mike Koehler, a leading FCPA expert.
The FCPA Institute places an emphasis on learning FCPA issues incrementally in the belief that foundational knowledge will best enhance understanding and comprehension of specific FCPA topics. FCPA Institute participants will encounter FCPA authority and other sources of information that define this new era of FCPA enforcement and will gain knowledge of, among other things, the following topics:
- Why the FCPA became a law and what it seeks to accomplish;
- Various realities of the global marketplace that often serve as root causes of FCPA scrutiny and enforcement;
- A comprehensive understanding of the FCPA’s anti-bribery and books and records and internal controls provisions and related enforcement theories;
- The typical origins of FCPA scrutiny and enforcement, including the prominence of corporate voluntary disclosures;
- Facts and figures relevant to corporate and individual FCPA enforcement actions including how corporate settlement amounts are calculated and how DOJ and SEC enforcement policies and resolution vehicles impact FCPA enforcement;
- Various practical reasons, as well as exploring certain provocative reasons, for the general increase in FCPA enforcement in this new era;
- Other laws relevant to conducting business in the global marketplace including the U.S. Travel Act and the U.K. Bribery Act; and
- How settlement amounts in an actual FCPA enforcement action are often only a relatively minor component of the overall financial consequences that can result from FCPA scrutiny or enforcement because of the “three buckets” of FCPA financial exposure and other negative business effects.
The FCPA Institute presents the FCPA not merely as a legal issue, but also as a business, finance, accounting, and auditing issue. The FCPA Institute is thus ideal for a diverse group of professionals such as in-house and outside counsel; finance, accounting and auditing professionals; and other compliance professionals seeking sophisticated knowledge and enhanced FCPA skills.