Charles (Chip) B. Rosenberg is Counsel in the Firm’s International Arbitration practice. He is a specialist in public international law and international arbitration, focusing on both investment treaty arbitration and international commercial arbitration.
Chip has experience representing clients in disputes at the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), and the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC), as well as under the Energy Charter Treaty (ECT) and the arbitration rules of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL).
Chip repeatedly has been recognized as a "Future Leader" by Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration (2017-2020), which focuses on selecting outstanding attorneys aged 45 or under. Who's Who Legal wrote in its 2019 edition that Chip is "'a brilliant writer and tactician' who peers note 'really gets it' when it comes to complex arbitration proceedings and is 'one to watch'," and described him in its inaugural edition (2017) as "hardworking and approachable." He also repeatedly has been recognized as a "Rising Star" by DC Super Lawyers (2016-2019).
Chip is the Vice-Chair of the Young Members Group of the North America Chapter of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (covering the United States, Mexico, and the Cayman Islands) and the Co-Editor-in-Chief of ITA in Review, the law journal of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA). He previously served as a Regional Representative of the ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (ICC YAF), a Steering Committee Member of the International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution’s Young Attorneys in Dispute Resolution (CPR Y-ADR), and the Executive Editor of the World Arbitration & Mediation Review (WAMR).
Chip has created and taught international investment seminars at The Hague University of Applied Sciences in The Netherlands and at the American University Washington College of Law in Washington, DC.
Prior to joining King & Spalding, Chip spent two years clerking for The Honorable Charles N. Brower, who was ranked the “world’s busiest arbitrator” by The American Lawyer in terms of large investment treaty and international commercial arbitrations, in London, England and at the Iran-United States Claims Tribunal in The Hague, The Netherlands. As a law clerk, he also served as Tribunal Secretary in multiple ICC arbitrations.
Chip graduated first in his class, summa cum laude, and Order of the Coif from the American University Washington College of Law.
- An Overview of Chile's International Investment Agreement Program, Kluwer Arb. Blog, July 8, 2019, http://arbitrationblog.kluwerarbitration.com/2019/07/08/an-overview-of-chiles-international-investment-agreement-program/ (with Eduardo Bruera).
- Henry Schein and the Importance of a Properly Drafted Arbitration Clause, 37(2) Alternatives to the High Cost of Litigation (Feb. 2019)
- United States, Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution Annual Review 2018, Financier Worldwide, Oct. 2018
- The Role of Investment Treaties in Cross-Border M&A Deals, Hotelexecutive.com, Dec. 3, 2017, https://www.hotelexecutive.com/feature_focus/5430/the-role-of-investment-treaties-in-cross-border-ma-deals
- How to manage the risk of a global expansion, Today’s hotelier, Sept. 30, 2017 (with Zain Jinnah), https://www.todayshotelier.com/2017/09/30/how-to-manage-the-risk-of-a-global-expansion/
- A “BIT” About Protecting International Resorts, American Resort Development Association’s Developments, Feb. 2017, http://www.nxtbook.com/ygsreprints/ARDA/G72702_arda_feb2017/index.php#/50
- A “BIT” About Cuba – Using Bilateral Investment Treaties to Protect International Investments, Hotelexecutive.com, Sept. 4, 2016 (with Raquel M. Sloan), https://www.hotelexecutive.com/business_review/4955/a-bit-about-cuba-using-bilateral-investment-treaties-to-protect-international-investments
- International Investment Treaties and the Protection of Foreign Investments, Hotelexecutive.com, June 19, 2016, https://www.hotelexecutive.com/business_review/4850/international-investment-treaties-and-the-protection-of-foreign-investments
- Who Should Regulate Counsel Conduct in International Arbitration?, Kluwer Arb. Blog, Apr. 18, 2016 (with M. Imad Khan), http://arbitrationblog.kluwerarbitration.com/2016/04/18/who-should-regulate-counsel-conduct-in-international-arbitration/
- The Adverse Inference in ICSID Practice, ICSID Review – Foreign Inv. L. J. (2015) (with Michael Polkinghorne)
- Screened Selection in Party-Appointed Arbitrations, Law360, July 28, 2015 (with Olivier P. Andre), https://www.law360.com/articles/682124/screened-selection-in-party-appointed-arbitrations
- To Use a Cannon to Kill a Mosquito: Why the Increase in Arbitrator Challenges in Investment Arbitration Does Not Warrant a Complete Overhaul of the System, 8 Investment Treaty Arbitration and International Law (2015)
- Expecting the Unexpected: The Force Majeure Clause, 6(1) Business Law Int’l (2015) (with Michael Polkinghorne)
- The Role of the Tribunal Secretary in International Arbitration: A Call for a Uniform Standard, 8(2) Dispute Resolution Int'l (2014) (with Michael Polkinghorne) (recipient of the “Outstanding Professional Article” award by the International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution for article published “that advance[s] understanding in the field of ADR”)
- The Intersection of International Trade and International Arbitration: Suspending Trade Benefits to “Encourage” Compliance with ICSID Awards, 3 Trasnat’l Disp. Mgmt. (2014), https://www.transnational-dispute-management.com/article.asp?key=2122
- International Development Loans and Non-Compliance with Investment Arbitration Awards, in A Revolution in the International Rule of Law: Essays in Honor of Don Wallace, Jr. (2014) (with Charles N. Brower & Sadie Blanchard)
- Latin America: The Intersection of Investment and Trade, 9(3) Global Arb. Rev., June 18, 2014 (with Jonathan C. Hamilton), https://globalarbitrationreview.com/article/1033468/latin-america-the-intersection-of-investment-and-trade
- The Ebola Epidemic and Force Majeure: Expecting the Unexpected, 32(11) Alternatives to the High Cost of Litigation (2014) (with Michael Polkinghorne)
- The Hidden Tool in a Foreign Investor's Toolbox: The Trade Preference Program as a “Carrot and Stick” to Secure Compliance with International Law Obligations, 34(1) NW. J. Int’l L. & Bus. (2014) (with Peter D. Fox)
- Different Strokes for Different Folks? The Role of the Tribunal Secretary, Kluwer Arb. Blog, May 16, 2014 (with Michael Polkinghorne), http://arbitrationblog.kluwerarbitration.com/2014/05/17/different-strokes-for-different-folks-the-role-of-the-tribunal-secretary-2/
- Belt and Road Disputes: A Mountain to Claim, BVI International Arbitration Centre, Nov. 21, 2019, Tortola, BVI
- Written Submission in International Arbitration, Harvard Law School, Nov. 4, 2019, Boston, MA
- An Insider's Perspective on Resolving Technology Disputes, Silicon Valley Arbitration & Mediation Center, Feb. 27, 2019, Washington, DC
- International Arbitration: Friend or Foe of Corporations?, American University Business Law Review Symposium, Feb. 12, 2019, Washington, DC
- Investment Treaty Arbitration, China Council for the Promotion of International Trade (CCPIT), Nov. 29, 2018, Washington, DC
- Perspectives of In-House Counsel: What Are We Doing Right? And What Are We Doing Not So Right?, Nov. 6, 2018, ICC YAF, Washington, DC
- The Unbearable Weightiness of NAFTA-ing, June 18, 2018, ICC YAF North America Regional Conference, Montreal, Canada
- So You Wanna Be an International Arbitrator?, Feb. 8, 2018, ICC YAF, Washington, DC
- Careers in International Arbitration: The Role of International Courts, Institutions, and Tribunals, Oct. 11, 2017, ICC YAF, Washington, DC
- Hearings in International Arbitration, Oct. 7, 2017, Harvard International Arbitration Workshop, Harvard Law School, Boston, MA
- A “BIT” about Protecting Foreign Investments, Apr. 25, 2017, Hospitality Law Conference 2017, Houston, TX
- Recent Developments in Enforcing International Investment Awards, Mar. 23, 2017, Boston Bar Association, Boston, MA
- International Dispute Resolution 2016 - Year in Review of Hot Topics, Dec. 6, 2016, CPR Y-ADR/NYIAC, New York, NY
- A standing investment court and appellate body in investment treaty dispute settlement, June 23, 2016, Freshfields/ASIL Young Arbitrator Debate Series, Washington, DC
- International Investment Arbitration – Revolutionary development or doomed experiment?, May 13, 2016, Tenth Annual Investment Treaty Arbitration Conference, Washington, DC
- Careers in International Trade and Investment Law, Sept. 10, 2015, American University Washington College of Law, Washington, DC
- Introduction to International Arbitration, Mar. 5, 2015, ICC YAF, Pepperdine Law School, Malibu, CA
- Reflections on Restored U.S.-Cuba Relations: Understanding New Regulations & Opportunities Going Forward, Feb. 12, 2015, American University Washington College of Law, Washington, DC
- The Prologue to an Efficient ADR Proceeding: Key Aspects from the Corporate Perspective, June 10, 2014, CPR Y-ADR, Washington, DC
- Challenges to Arbitrators: Should the challenge procedure be overhauled?, Mar. 28, 2014, Eight Annual Investment Treaty Arbitration Conference, Washington, DC
- Contributions of the Iran–United States Claims Tribunal to International Law and International Arbitration, Mar. 7, 2013, Iran–United States Claims Tribunal, The Hague, Netherlands