Kate Stern is a counsel in King & Spalding's Healthcare practice. Kate focuses on the representation of health systems, hospitals, provider organizations, academic medical centers, home health companies, pharmacies, retailers with pharmacy operations, specialty pharmacies and management services organizations.
Kate has experience advising clients on a wide variety of healthcare regulatory matters. She routinely advises clients on compliance with fraud and abuse laws, such as the Stark law and the federal anti-kickback statute, Medicare and Medicaid laws and regulations (including Medicare Advantage and audit and enforcement matters), EMTALA and various state laws and regulations that govern provider operations. Kate represents health industry clients in various transactional matters and government investigations that involve healthcare regulatory issues.
Kate also regularly advises clients with respect to accountable care organizations, clinically integrated networks, shared savings and incentive payment compensation. She is also experienced with healthcare information privacy and data sharing issues and advises clients on compliance with HIPAA, state privacy laws and CMS regulations.
Kate also has experience creating and implementing compliance programs, implementing health information technology systems and electronic health records and drafting Medicare provider reimbursement appeals.
- "Health Law Update," Georgia Society of CPAs/HFMA Healthcare Conference, co-presented with Glen Reed and Tom Hawk, King & Spalding, February23, 2018.
- "Anti-Kickback Statute Master Class: Trends in Enforcement and Regulatory Guidance - What Should Be On Your AKS Radar?" American Bar Association Webinar, co-presented with Joan Killgore, Polsinelli PC and Karen Lovitch, Mintz Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC, December 14, 2017.
- “Physician Extenders: Know the Compliance Risks Surrounding Midlevel Practitioners,” Health Care Compliance Association Southeast Regional Conference, co-presented with Alana Sullivan, Senior Vice President & Chief Compliance Officer, and Tizgel High, Senior Associate General Counsel, LifePoint Hospitals, January 24, 2014.
- “The Government Has Your Data and Is Using It: Current Trends in Data Mining and Perspectives on Fraud Enforcement,” King & Spalding LLP Roundtable, co-presented with Paul B. Murphy, John Richter, Robert Khayat and Lynn Adam, King & Spalding LLP, October 11, 2013.
- "Taking Charge of Contractor Chaos," King & Spalding LLP Roundtable, co-presented with Rick Shackelford, Sara Kay Wheeler and Adam Robison, King & Spalding LLP, February 23, 2011.
- "Medicaid RACs: Get Ready 'Cause Here They Come," Health Care Compliance Association webinar, co-presented with Sara Kay Wheeler, King & Spalding LLP, February 3, 2011.
- "Healthcare Reform and Other Burning Compliance Considerations," Health Care Compliance Association South Central Regional Annual Conference, co-presented with Sara Kay Wheeler, King & Spalding LLP, November 12, 2010.
- “More Stark Changes: The 2008 Amendments to the Self-Referral Regulations,” King & Spalding LLP Roundtable, co-presented with Rob Keenan, Seth Lundy and Tom Hawk, King & Spalding LLP, September 18, 2008.
- “Fraud and Abuse Update,” King & Spalding LLP Roundtable, co-presented with Rick Shackelford, Rob Keenan, Stevie Casteel, Tom Hawk and Kim Naegele, King & Spalding LLP, August 20, 2007.
- CMS Strengthens Enrollment Screening Yet Again, New Actions, Proposed Role Heighten Enrollment Scrutiny, Reimbursement Advisor, Apr. 2016.
- District Court Allows Lab Company to Proceed with Federal Lawsuit to Stop Recoupment While an ALJ Hearing is Pending, Louisiana Ledger, Louisiana Chapter of the HFMA, Feb. 2016.
- CMS Fortifies Payment Suspension Authority; CMS, States Gain Enhanced Authority to Suspend Payments, Dennis Barry's Reimbursement Advisor, Apr. 2011.
- District Courts Reject RAC Reopening Challenges Without Good Cause; Recent Decisions Not Necessarily the Final Word, Dennis Barry's Reimbursement Advisor, vol. 26, no. 3, Nov. 2010 (with Christopher Keough).
- New Medicare Signature Guidelines for Medical Reviews: Provider Submissions of Signature Logs and Attestation Statements, Dennis Barry's Reimbursement Advisor, vol. 25, no. 10, June 2010.
- Words Will Never Hurt Me: The Risks in Treating a Linguistically Diverse Population, Health Lawyers News, American Health Lawyers Association, October 2007 (with James W. Boswell and Joanne E. Joiner).
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- Fraud and Abuse Practice Group
- Hospitals and Health Systems Practice Group
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- State Bar of Georgia, Health Law Section
- Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys