Meghan Magruder is a Partner in King & Spalding’s Atlanta office and a member of the Business Litigation Practice Group. Ms. Magruder represents corporate clients in insurance coverage and complex commercial litigation matters. She is listed in The Best Lawyers In America, Georgia Super Lawyers, and Top Women Attorneys in Georgia.
Ms. Magruder has more than thirty years of experience handling complex commercial litigation matters with particular emphasis in insurance claims, indemnity disputes, purchaser and supplier disputes, mass tort defense and product liability litigation. She handles multi-party, class action, and multi-jurisdictional litigation and various forms of dispute resolution. She also provides clients with counseling on preventative litigation strategies, and advises policyholders on a wide variety of insurance and risk management matters. She serves as lead trial counsel in jury and non-jury trials, as well as lead counsel in international arbitration disputes. Ms. Magruder was lead counsel in a lengthy international arbitration in London for the largest automotive company based in India and successfully obtained dismissal of over $100 million of claims against her client and an award of attorney’s fees in favor of her client. The award was challenged in the English High Court and was upheld on appeal. Ms. Magruder was also lead trial lawyer in a three week federal court jury trial winning a verdict for her client that was second highest in the State in the contract verdict category. The case was appealed and in 2013, the verdict was upheld on appeal.
Ms. Magruder is a fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America, which is an invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society and represents less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers. Fellows are selected based upon excellence and accomplishments in litigation, trial work and superior ethical reputation. Ms. Magruder is also a fellow in the American College of Coverage Counsel for her work representing policyholders in connection with claims in negotiation, litigation and arbitration including international arbitration. She advises clients with respect to all types of insurance policies and all matters of claims, including commercial liability, all risk, property, directors and officers, crime, employment, environmental errors and omissions and electronics specialty policies. She handles property loss and business interruption claims, and she has been retained by companies to assist with insurance strategies in situations where large numbers of cases and class actions, such as consumer class actions, asbestos and other toxic tort litigations have been filed. Ms. Magruder also counsels clients on review of their insurance programs and adequacy of coverages.
Ms. Magruder also has substantial experience advising clients on corporate governance and risk management issues. She serves as general counsel for the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations, whose members include all U.S. based nuclear power facilities.
Ms. Magruder also represents clients in a variety of mass tort and product liability matters. For example, she has represented a major pharmaceutical company involved in class action consumer fraud cases. She has been national coordinating counsel for international automotive companies involved in benzene exposure litigation. She has also defended companies in multi-jurisdictional asbestos and lead litigation, and she has represented a building products manufacturer in a number of lawsuits alleging defective products.
Recent Publications and Thought Leadership
Ms. Magruder is frequently invited to speak on litigation, insurance, tort and environmental law topics and has authored numerous articles and publications.
Recent publications include:
- What Does Good Governance Look Like in the Nuclear Industry, for the INPO Director’s Institute at the Emory University School of Business, October 2014.
- Finding Shelter After the Storm: Insurance for Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Floods and Fires, for Lexis Nexis, September 2014.
- Representations and Warranties Insurance, for GE Capital, September 2014.
- Network Security and Privacy Risk: How Could it Affect Your Company’s Reputation and Assets? for Lockton Companies Seminar, August 2014.
- Eleventh Circuit Dials Back the Specificity Required in an Insurer’s Reservation of Rights, Client Alert, July 2014.
- Litigation Management By Corporations, in the Multi-Volume Treatise, Business and Commercial Litigation in the Federal Courts, published by Thomson West, 2014; updated 2006-2014.
- SEC Directive to Seek Admissions of Wrongdoing in Settlements Could Impact Insurance and Indemnification, Corporate Governance Post, May 2014.
- Legal Issues Facing the Nuclear Industry, for Nuclear Energy Insurance Legal Committee, March 2014.
- Legal Fees in the Coverage Case: Ideas for Today - Realities for Tomorrow, for the ABA Insurance Coverage Conference, March 2014.
- Strategic Partnerships Between Healthcare Organizations, Other Professionals and Service Providers, Contract and Insurance Issues, for Strafford Conferences, February 2014.
- How to Maximize Your Insurance Recovery After “Historic” Winter Storms Impact U.S., Client Alert, February 2014.
- Insurance Due Diligence in Healthcare Industry Strategic Partnerships, Client Presentation, December 2013.
- The Institute of Nuclear Power Operations for the Nuclear Energy Institute Lawyers Committee, November 2013.
- Business Interruption Claim Support: Avoiding Detours to Achieve a Successful Settlement, for the Knowledge Congress, October 2013.
- What Does Good Governance Look Like in the Nuclear Industry, for the INPO Director’s Institute at Emory University School of Business, October 2013.
- What You Must Know About Insurance to Prepare Your Company for Catastrophe - Strategies for Maximizing Coverage and Recovery, for the Association of Corporate Counsel, September 2013.
- Tips for Negotiating Collateral Agreements to Workers’ Compensation Insurance Policies, Law 360 and Client Alert, June 2013.
- Deal Risk Allocation - Practical Solutions, for Bauer Advising Executive Roundtable, June 2013.
- How Financial Institutions Can Maximize Insurance Assets for Credit Crisis and Emerging Risks, Client Presentation, May 2013.
- Quoted in Law 360 Article, Texas Plant’s Policy Leaves Blast Victims in the Lurch, May 2013.
- Maximizing Insurance Coverage for Food Contamination Claims, Food Safety Magazine, April/May 2013.
- Q&A with King & Spalding’s Meghan Magruder, Profile Published in Law 360, April 2013.
- Obtaining Evidence in the U.S. for Arbitrations Abroad: Practical Lessons on When and How to Use Section 1782, for the Atlanta International Arbitration Society, April 2013.
- How to Defend Your Company from Government Health Care Claims, Law 360 and Client Alert, March 2013.
- Insurance in the M&A Context, for the Business Insurance Risk Management Summit, February 2013.
- Beyond Ourselves: How Bite Sized Pro Bono Work Can Make a Big Impact on Children’s Lives, for the National Association of Women Lawyers, February 2013.
- Are You Covered? Insurance for Healthcare Regulatory Investigations, for the King & Spalding Healthcare Roundtable, February 2013.
- Directors & Officers Liability: Hot Topics and Emerging Issues, for the Risk and Insurance Management Society, January 2013.
- Directors & Officers Liability Insurance Review, for the Seminar Group, December 2012.
- Insurance Checklist for Mergers & Acquisitions: What Every Executive Should Know, Client Alert, December 2012. (Also published by the Association of Corporate Counsel and Law 360 in 2012).
- Buyer Beware: Product Recall and Accidental Contamination Coverage, Food Manufacturing, December 2012.
- Food Contamination Claims: What You Need to Know, Food Safety Magazine, December 2012.
- How to Maximize Your Insurance Recovery for Property Damage, Business Interruptions, and Supply Chain Losses After Super Storm Sandy, Client Alert, November 2012.
- Government Investigations and Other Emerging D&O Underwriting and Coverage Issues, Client Presentation, November 2012.
- The Work of the Institute of Nuclear Operations for the Women in Nuclear DC Chapter, October 2012.
- Emerging Risk Management Issues for Boards, for the Association of Corporate Counsel, October 2012.
- Interviewed and quoted in cover story for Food Logistics: A Holistic Approach to Recalls, October 2012.
- Avoiding Interrelated Claims Limitation to Coverage, Law 360, October 2012.
- Practical Tips on How to Maximize Your Insurance, Public Company Advisor, September 2012.
- Insurance Coverage for Food and Beverage Contamination Claims and Recalls, Client Alert, September 2012.
- Recent Georgia Coverage Decisions Affecting Policyholders, Client Alert, August 2012.
- As the Insurance Industry Responds to Recent Catastrophic Losses, is Your Business Prepared to Weather the Perfect Storm, Client Alert, July 2012.
- Quoted in Law 360 Article Georgia High Court Steps Up Pressure on Insurers to Defend, June 2012.
- What Does Your Board of Directors Need to Know About Your Company’s Risk Management Program? for Willis client presentation, June 2012.
- Tips for Managing Emerging Catastrophic Risks and Supply Chain Disruption, Client Alert, June 2012.
- Atlanta - The New Hub for International Arbitration, Client Alert, May 2012.
- How Do You Protect Your Business When the Sky Really is Falling? Emerging Trends in Property Damage Insurance and Tips for Maximizing Coverage in the Event of Catastrophic Loss, Client Presentation, April 2012.
- How to Tell a Compelling Story in Any Case, for the American Bar Association Section of Litigation Annual Meeting, April 2012.
- Bridging the Divide: Litigation in Civil Law Jurisdictions, Common Law Jurisdictions and the United States, and How the IBA Rules Strike a Compromise, for the Atlanta International Arbitration Society, April 2012.
- The Perfect 10: Invaluable Tips for Litigating Your Insurance Coverage Case, for the ABA Insurance Coverage Seminar, March 2012.
- Management of Corporate Insurance Programs: Assessing Risk and Coverage, for the Association of Corporate Counsel, October 2011.
- Legal Issues for Nonprofits that Work with Children, for the Pro Bono Partnership of Atlanta, September 2011.
- Update on Recent D&O Coverage Decisions, Client Alert and re-published in Lexology in conjunction with the Association of Corporate Counsel, August 2011.
- Securities Litigation and SEC Enforcement: Recent Trends and D&O Update, Client Presentation, August 2011.
- Defending Toxic Tort Claims: Effective Strategies and Key Considerations, Chapter in Litigating Toxic Tort and Hazardous Waste Claims: Leading Lawyers on Evaluating Liability, Employing Experts, and Preparing for Litigation, Published by Aspatore Books, 2011.
- Broken Supply Chains, Lost Customers, and Property Damage: Insurance as a Resource for Losses Sustained After the 2011 Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan, Client Alert, June 2011.
- Ensuring Maximum Coverage After Natural Disasters, article appearing in Law 360, May 2011.
- Maximize Your Insurance Recovery for Losses from Tornadoes, Floods, and Other Natural Disasters, Client Alert, May 2011.
- The Intersection of Contractual Indemnity Clauses and Additional Insured Status: You May Have Less Coverage Than You Think, Client Alert, February 2011.
- Insurance Coverage, Chapter in Regulation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers, Published by Law Journal Press, 2010.
- Law 360 Article reporting on winning jury verdict, Jury Puts Insurer on Hook for $9 Million Trade AM Suit, October 2010.
- Corporate Governance Issues in the Nuclear Power Industry, for the Goizueta School of Business at Emory University, August 2010.
- Law 360 Article reporting on winning summary judgment, Insurer’s Claims Pared in Trade Am Coverage Dispute, June 2010.
- Executive Liability Conference: Emerging Management Liability Exposures in Times of Growth, presentation, August 2010.
- Insurance Coverage for Losses Related to the Gulf Coast Oil Spill, Client Alert, May 2010.
- Transactional Risk: Facilitating Mergers, Acquisitions, Divestures, Spinoffs, Client Alert, March 2010.
- Hot Topics in Insurance Coverage for Environmental Liabilities for the Risk and Insurance Management Society, February 2010.
- Climate Change Liability Moves Forward: Does Your Insurance Cover Your Risk? Client Alert and Mondaq Publication, January 2010.
- What Boards Should Be Doing Right Now, The Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, December 2009.
- Board Leadership Advisor: Practical Advice for Troubling Times - What Boards Should Be Doing Right Now, Client Alert, December 2009.
- Techniques to Maximize Coverage and Recovery in D&O and Employment Practices Claims, Client Alert, September 2009.
- Is Your D&O Coverage Adequate: How to Avoid Personal Contribution by Outside Directors in the Event of Claims, Client Alert and Mondaq Publication, August 2009.
- Q and A with King & Spalding’s Meghan Magruder, Profile Published in Law 360, May 2009.
- Developing Business Strategies for the American Bar Association Section of Litigation Meeting, May 2009.
- What You Need to Know if Your Insurance Company is in Financial Distress, Client Alert and Mondaq Publication, March 2009.
- Bracing For Climate Change Exposure, Law 360 Publication, February 2009.
- Quoted in Law 360 Article, Insurance Fights Could Heat Up Amid Warming Suits, February 2009.
- Cyber Liability and Security Breaches, September 2008.
- Insurance Law 2008: Trends and Key Strategies, published by Aspatore Books, 2008.
- Director and Officer Liability: Assessing and Crafting Solutions to the Globalization of Risk, August 2008.
- Cyber Liability and Data Security Breaches: Is Your Company Prepared and Protected? Client Presentation, September 2008.
- Bridging the Gap Between Risk Management, Legal and C-Suite, for the Risk and Insurance Management Society Meeting, January 2008.
- Understanding Insurance Regulations and Coverage, published by Aspatore Books, 2007.
- The Trend of Locally Admitted D&O Policies for U.S. Companies With Foreign Subsidiaries, for the Executive Liability Conference, May 2007.
- Expert Witnesses in Environmental Coverage Disputes for the American Bar Association Section of Litigation Insurance Coverage Meeting, March 2007.
- Finding And Retaining Expert Witnesses And Presenting Their Testimony for the American Bar Association Section of Litigation, March 2005.
- Insurance Coverage For Employment Liabilities for Mealey’s Insurance Coverage for Financial Institution Exposures Conference, February 2005. (Paper published).
- Interpreting the Absolute Pollution Exclusion: Canons for Construing Policy Terms and How Courts Decide If It is Absolute for the American Bar Association Section of Litigation Insurance Coverage Meeting, March 2004. (Paper published).
- Recent Developments In First-Party Property Insurance Coverage for Mealey’s Advanced Insurance Coverage Conference, January 2004. (Paper published).
- The Woman Advocate for the American Bar Association Section of Litigation Meeting, April 2003.
- Personal Jurisdiction In Cyberspace for the American Bar Association Section of Litigation Insurance Coverage Meeting, March 2002.
- Ms. Magruder is a fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society.
- Ms. Magruder is a fellow in the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel, an honorary organization of the country’s top insurance coverage lawyers.
- Ms. Magruder is a member of the American Law Institute, the leading independent organization in the U.S. producing scholarly work to clarify, modernize, and improve the law.
- Ms. Magruder is a past officer of the American Bar Association Section of Litigation. She has been involved in leadership in the American Bar Association for many years, including as a member of the Task Force on Judicial Independence and a past member of the Council for the ABA Section of Litigation.
- Among her many professional responsibilities, Ms. Magruder served on the Board of Advisors for the Chemical Waste Litigation Reporter. She also served as both President and Vice President of the Environmental Commission for the Union Internationale des Avocats.
- Ms. Magruder is a member of the CPR International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution, D&O Insurance Committee.
- Ms. Magruder is active in pro bono and community activities. She currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, the Board of Directors for the Atlanta Women’s Foundation, the Board of Directors for the Atlanta Children’s Shelter, and on the Board of Visitors for Emory University. She is a member of Leadership Atlanta Class of 2011.
Ms. Magruder received her B.A. from Emory College in 1980 and her J.D. from Emory University School of Law in 1983. She served as law clerk to Judge Robert Hall in the Northern District of Georgia, and to Judge Dorothy Beasley in Georgia State Court. Ms. Magruder practiced law in Boston, Massachusetts and Washington, D.C. for over twenty years before joining King & Spalding and relocating to Atlanta. Before joining King & Spalding she was a Senior Partner at Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP. Ms Magruder is a member of the Georgia, Massachusetts and District of Columbia bars.