Margrete Stevens is a consultant in King & Spalding’s Washington, D.C., office working on investment treaty claims with the firm’s International Arbitration Practice Group.
Prior to joining King & Spalding, Ms. Stevens worked for nearly 20 years at the World Bank Group’s International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), where she served as counsel and later as senior counsel. Before joining the World Bank Group, Ms. Stevens served with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Botswana and Malaysia.
Ms. Stevens is a frequent speaker at conferences focusing on international investment law issues and co-authored the first leading textbook on investment treaties - Bilateral Investment Treaties (Martinus Nijhoff 1995).
Ms. Stevens serves as Vice Chair of the International Bar Association’s Mediation Committee and is a Member of the Board of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce Arbitration Institute. In addition, Ms. Stevens is the Founding Member of the Washington, D.C. International Arbitration Club. Ms. Stevens serves on the ADR Advisory Board of the International Law Institute in Washington, D.C., the Advisory Board of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration in Dallas and on the Advisory Board of the Foreign Direct Investment International Moot Competition. Ms. Stevens is also a member of the London Court of International Arbitration, the American Society of International Law and was a member of the AAA delegation at the 47th and 48th Sessions of the UNCITRAL Working Group II(Arbitration and Conciliation).
Ms. Stevens holds a Cand. Jur. degree from the University of Copenhagen and an LL.M. from the London School of Economics. She speaks Danish, English, French and Spanish.
- Board of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce Arbitration Institute
- International Bar Association’s Task Force on Counsel Ethics in International Arbitration
- International Bar Association’s Mediation Committee, Vice-Chair
- Washington, D.C. International Arbitration Club, Founding Member
- American Bar Association
- ADR Advisory Board of the International Law Institute, Washington, D.C.
- Advisory Board of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration, Dallas
- Advisory Board of the Foreign Direct Investment International Moot Competition
- London Court of International Arbitration