Judith O’Brien is a partner in the Silicon Valley office of King and Spalding and a member of the firm’s Corporate Practice Group. As the head of King and Spalding’s Emerging Company Practice Group, Ms. O’Brien represents entrepreneurial and emerging growth companies, both public and private, and investors and investment banking firms that finance them. Ms. O’Brien also represents larger companies, public and private, in connection with a variety of corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance transactions and corporate governance issues.
Ms. O’Brien has acted as a senior business adviser and corporate counsel to emerging growth companies from start-up to Fortune 500 status, representing companies in a broad range of industries, including telecommunications, internet infrastructure, computer software and hardware, networking, medical device, mobile and payments industries. She has also represented numerous venture capital funds and investment banks. As an emerging growth company lawyer, she functions as a member of the team with growing enterprises helping them get started, find financing and structure and grow their businesses. Her broad corporate practice includes general corporate work for companies, large and small (including corporate organization, employee benefits, intellectual property matters, commercial transactions and financings), securities (public and private debt and equity financings; securities compliance), mergers and acquisitions, commercial and strategic relationships (both domestic and international) and joint ventures.
Awards & Recognition
- The American Lawyer—Dealmaker of the Year 2000
- Forbes Magazine Midas List—One of venture capital’s top dealmakers, 2001—2005
- Northern California Super Lawyers, 1999—2006, 2013
- The Recorder—Named one of the “Women Leaders in the Law”, 2011
- San Jose Business Journal—Named “Woman of Influence”, 2010
- California Lawyer—Top Five Women Attorneys in Northern California, 1997
- The Recorder—Leading Women Securities Lawyers, Northern California, 1997
- California Law Business—Top 25 Lawyers under 45, 1993