Emma Maconick is a partner on the Corporate team. She has in-depth experience of a broad range of intellectual property and technology transactions, which vary from sophisticated cross-border deals for multi-national corporations, institutional lenders, venture capitalists and private equity funds to discrete development, commercialization and licensing agreements for start-ups, emerging companies, R&D entities and Universities.
Ms. Maconick regularly counsels U.S.-based and international clients on technology transactions involving the complex allocation of IP rights and key deal terms, including evaluating IP and IT risks in the context of a client’s broader business objectives and calibrating practical, real-world responses to them. Ms. Maconick often structures and negotiates sophisticated information technology, hardware and software, and web and content-related agreements and helps clients drive growth through the intelligent commercialization and monetization of a wide variety of technologies.
Ms. Maconick has extensive transactional experience across three continents with the IP and IT aspects of mergers and acquisition; strategic alliances, business partnerships and joint ventures; investment, credit and financing arrangements; IP and IT asset management, as well as equity and debt capital markets transactions.
Ms. Maconick also consults on IP litigation matters, with particular focus on settlement agreements, cross-licenses, co-existence agreements and other nuanced arrangements for the sharing of IP rights in the technology and telecommunications spaces.
Ms. Maconick is admitted to practice in the State of California, to the Supreme Court of England and Wales and the High Court of New Zealand. She is fluent in French.
Publications and Presentations
- Speaker on ““Do the Right Thing!” A Discussion of Ethics in Intellectual Property” at King & Spalding’s 9th Annual Pharmaceutical University – Philadelphia, PA, 2016.
- Panelist on “Cybersecurity in the 115th Congress, Information Sharing and the McCaul-Warner Commission on Digital Security” at King & Spalding’s Tech Law Talk – San Francisco, CA, 2016.
- Guest Speaker on “Doing Deals in the Software Space – Key Differentiators” at GE’s M&A Spring Meeting – Fairfield, CT, 2016.
- Panelist on “Practical Considerations In Cybersecurity Third Party Risk Management” with focus on Corporate and Commercial Transactions at King & Spalding’s 2016 Cybersecurity & Privacy Summit – Atlanta, GA, 2016.
- Author of “Cloud Sourcing – The New Normal” for Thomson Reuters’ practitioners guide Inside the Minds: Best Practices for Managing Outsourcing Transactions – 2014.
- Guest Speaker on “Negotiating Rights in International Development Collaboration Agreements” at the World Intellectual Property Organization – Workshop on Technology Development Agreements – São Paolo, Brazil, 2014.
- Guest Speaker at on “Industrial Internet Data, Privacy and Security” at GE’s Simply Digital: The Business and Law behind GE’s Digital Strategy – Cincinnati, Illinois, 2014.
- Panelist and Moderator on “Key Licensing Trends and Practice Pointers” at Managing IP Magazine’s Women’s Leadership Form – San Jose, CA, 2014.