Edward Kehoe is the Managing Partner of King & Spalding’s New York office and co-head of the firm’s International Arbitration Practice. Mr. Kehoe recently completed a three-year term on the firm’s ten-person management committee.
This year, King & Spalding’s International Arbitration group was recognized by Law 360 as the top practice in the world. Global Arbitration Review previously noted, “the firm’s rise up the rankings speaks volumes for the power of a winning record.” The team has been widely lauded as a leading practice in the industry by Chambers, AmLaw’s Focus Europe and Legal 500 who recently emphasized the team’s “consistently excellent work.”
Mr. Kehoe has more than 25 years of experience in business arbitration and litigation, with a focus on disputes in the fields of energy, mining, construction, professional services, finance/banking, pharmaceutical and insurance.
For each year since 2007, Mr. Kehoe has been recognized in Chambers USA as one of the top lawyers for international arbitration, where it states that he “received abundant praise for his talented approach to international arbitration” and that he “drew spontaneous applause from esteemed sources for his sophistication and success in handling a number of sizable matters.” Mr. Kehoe received special recognition for “his advocacy skills and the real commitment he demonstrates to clients.” Chambers USA has also hailed him as “excellent” noting “he receives accolades from clients who appreciate his strategic approach and ability to take into consideration business interests.”
Most recently, Who’s Who Legal noted that “Edward Kehoe is both a superb advocate and a commanding arbitrator.” Chambers Global highlighted that “Mr. Kehoe is approachable and intelligent. Despite the fact that he is one of the top people in the field, he is very down-to-earth.” Chambers Global also has quoted sources who say that he is an “extremely thoughtful lawyer and strategic thinker.” Mr. Kehoe also is ranked by Legal 500 for international arbitration where commenters expressed “a great deal of respect” for his legal skills, describing him as “excellent and client focused.” Mr. Kehoe was honored in the Corporate Counsel magazine as one of the “Nation’s Top Litigators” in Business Litigation.
He is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, Trial Lawyer Honorary Society. In addition to serving as counsel, Mr. Kehoe sits as an arbitrator and is listed as an arbitrator on the Panel of Neutrals for the International Centre for Dispute Resolution. He is a frequent writer and lecturer on international arbitration issues, and is a member of the Board of Editors of Global Arbitration Review and on the Advisory Board of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration. Recent matters in which Mr. Kehoe has served as legal counsel include:
- Ongoing arbitration for investor against the Republic of Ecuador under bilateral investment treaty, involving $9 billion.
- Ongoing arbitration for investor against the Republic of Peru under trade promotion agreement, involving over $800 million.
- Ongoing arbitration against Republic of Bulgaria under bilateral investment treaty.
- Ongoing commercial arbitration in New York before the AAA/ICDR concerning alleged breach of natural gas supply agreement.
- Ongoing arbitration for manufacturer before AAA/ICDR concerning breach of joint venture agreement.
- Favorable arbitration award ($700 million less taxes) in an international investment treaty arbitration before the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes, representing a major oil company.
- Favorable arbitration award ($2 billion) concerning dispute over long term LNG supply contract.
- Favorable arbitration award (over $1 billion) in ad hoc arbitration proceeding, representing manufacturer in claims against insurance syndicate for property loss and business interruption losses arising from catastrophic fire.
- Favorable arbitration concerning breach of Korean distributorship agreement.
- Favorable arbitration award (over $300 million) in American Arbitration Association (AAA) arbitration, representing the owners of a power plant in a breach of contract action relating to the long term supply of power.
- Favorable arbitration award for one of the big four accounting firms in AAA arbitration in which accounting malpractice was alleged in connection with an audit; arbitration panel awarded claimant zero damages on its $200 million claim.
- Successfully represented issuer of surety bonds against insurer, in international arbitration matter before the AAA International Centre for Dispute Resolution, concerning political risk insurance and expropriation.
- Ongoing litigation in NY State Supreme Court concerning public bidding requirements for ferry concession at Niagara Falls.
- Represented patent owner in breach of contract action in S.D.N.Y. Federal Court.
- Favorable jury verdict in federal district court for the Southern District of New York, representing owner of hotel development project as defendant in construction litigation. The jury verdict was described by National Law Journal as one of the top ten defense verdicts in the nation prior to post-trial motions and settlement.
- Favorable jury verdict in New York State Supreme Court representing supplier in breach of contract action.
- Successfully represented a defendant in New York State Supreme Court in breach of contract action concerning services on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Represented another of the big four accounting firms in federal and state court civil actions brought against the accounting firm by investors in tax products.
His publications and professional appearances include:
- "Motions to Dismiss in International Treaty Arbitration," Fordham University School of Law 10th Annual Conference on International Arbitration and Mediation, 2015.
- "Arbitration Hearing in New York," book chapter, 2015.
- “Enforcement of ICSID Awards in New York,” White Paper published by the New York City Bar, 2013
- “The Art of Advocacy in International Arbitration,” co-editor with Doak Bishop, Juris Publishing 2010.
- “Anti-Suit Injunctions.” Practicing Law Institute, March 2010.
- “International Business Arbitration.” International Corporate Practice, A Practitioner’s Guide to Global Success, 2008
- “Determining Damages in International Arbitration.” Lecture and paper presented at Conference, April 2008.
- “Emerging Contaminants in Rivers and Streams.” New York Law Journal, July 17, 2007.
- “Enforcing Arbitral Awards Against Sovereigns.” February 2007.
- Performing an Effective Cost/Benefit Analysis to Litigation and Arbitration. Inside the Legal Minds Publication, 2006.
- Recognition and Enforcement of International Arbitration Awards in Energy Disputes, co-authored with R. Doak Bishop and published at 2004 ICCA Conference.
- Courts Create Uncertainty in Extending Right to Demand Adequate Assurance. New York Law Journal, June 24, 1999.
- Panel Member at “Global Arbitration Review Live” in Paris, 2013.
- Panel Member at 2011 Columbia Arbitration Day Forum on topic of “Selection of Arbitrators.”
- Panel Member at Roundtable on States and State-Controlled Entities as Claimants in International Arbitration, Vale Columbia Center on Sustainable International Investment, March 2010.
- Panel Member at Practicing Law Institute Annual International Arbitration Forum, March 2010.
- Panelist at Annual Power Forum in Amelia Island, Florida on arbitration and litigation issues, 1998.
- Speaker at Corporate Executive Briefing Luncheon in New York on arbitration and litigation issues, 1997.
- Panelist at Annual Fall Conference of Independent Power Producers in New York on arbitration and litigation issues, 1996.
- Panelist at Annual National Conference of Bankruptcy Judge in San Diego on arbitration and litigation issues, 1996.
Mr. Kehoe is a native of Mahopac, New York, and received his bachelor’s degree in accounting in 1987 from Lehigh University, where he was also a nationally ranked track runner. Mr. Kehoe received his J.D. in 1990, cum laude, from St. John’s Law School and was a member of the St. John’s Law Review. Before joining King & Spalding in 1993, Mr. Kehoe was with the firm of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom in New York.