Brian White is a partner in the firm’s Business Litigation and International Arbitration Practice Groups. He is dual Qualified in the U.S. and in England.
Mr. White regularly represents clients in complex litigation matters in Federal and State courts throughout the United States. Mr. White has broad experience with disputes involving mergers and acquisitions, joint venture agreements, commercial lending, license agreements, contracts for the sale of goods, real estate transactions, distributor agreements, construction projects and insurance coverage.
Mr. White also represents clients in international arbitration matters throughout the world. Mr. White has represented clients in arbitration disputes under the rules of the London Court of International Arbitration, the International Chamber of Commerce, the International Arbitral Centre of the Austrian Federal Chamber, the World Intellectual Property Organization, the Arbitration and Mediation Center of the Santiago Chamber of Commerce, the AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (U.K.), the American Arbitration Association and its International Centre for Dispute Resolution, the International Centre for Settlement of Investment disputes and UNCITRAL. He has served as lead counsel or co-counsel in cross-border disputes arising out of business ventures in Argentina, Australia, the British Virgin Islands, Chile, England, Finland, France, Germany, India, Italy, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Panama, Turkey, Romania, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, the United States and Uzbekistan.
Mr. White also has extensive experience representing clients in litigation that is ancillary to the arbitration process or to non-U.S. litigation, including actions to: enforce foreign judgments; enforce or resist enforcement of international arbitration awards; seek discovery in aid of foreign arbitrations; seek interim measures of protection in connection with pending arbitration matters; and attach assets located in the United States in connection with proceedings overseas.
Mr. White previously served as General Counsel of a global chemical manufacturing company. Mr. White coordinated the activities of in-house lawyers located in Brazil, the U.K. and France, and outside counsel located in the U.S., Brazil, the U.K., France, Australia, the Cayman Islands, and Turkey. Mr. White also advised senior executives concerning the day to day operations of the business.
Mr. White has taught International Commercial Arbitration as an adjunct professor at The University of Georgia School of Law. Mr. White is Vice President and a member of the board of directors of ATLAS, the Atlanta International Arbitration Society.
Mr. White is the partner in charge of King & Spalding’s award-winning Eviction Defense Project, a pro bono service of King & Spalding and Atlanta Legal Aid that provides representation to indigent defendants threatened with eviction from their homes. In this Project, he has served as lead counsel in numerous successful trials and mediations.
- “Challenges to Arbitrators and Disqualification of Counsel: Who Decides? Exploring the Intersection Between Arbitrator Ethics and Counsel Ethics,” Draft presented to the 2012 ATLAS Conference.
- International Arbitration in Georgia,” Georgia Bar Journal, April 2011
- “Remedies for Violations of Intellectual Property Rights Under Bi-lateral Investment Treaties, ” Transnational Dispute Management (June 2009)
- The South Carolina and Georgia Chapters of the ABA’s State Antitrust Practice and Statutes (2009)
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “When Transnational Business Deals Go Sour: The Challenges and Opportunities of International Arbitration,” The American Society of International Law’s Mid-Year Meeting, October 2012.
- “Lawyer Ethics in International Arbitration: Prospects for a level paying field,” ATLAS Conference, April 2012
- “The United Nations Convention on the International Sale of Goods,” ICLE, February 2012
- “An Introduction to Arbitration,” ICLE, February 2011
- “International Arbitration in the Middle East,” IRR, Dubai, March 2010
- “Drafting International Arbitration Clauses,” West Legal, May 2009
- “Protecting Foreign Investments: Treaties and Arbitration Clauses,” The Association of Corporate Counsel, March 2009
- “International Arbitration of Intellectual Property Disputes: TRIPS, BITS and FTA’s,” the University of Georgia, January 2009
- “International Arbitration of Intellectual Property Disputes,” The Universidad Sergio Arboledo, Bogota, Columbia, October 2008