The District Court for the Northern District of Texas recently issued a ruling declaring the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (“ACA”) unconstitutional in its entirety. The court did not enjoin any of the ACA’s provisions, and the Administration has announced that the ACA will remain in effect while appeals are pending. Nonetheless, the decision creates uncertainty in the U.S. healthcare system. This webinar will:
- Provide a background on the ACA, with a focus on the individual mandate, leading to the decision in Texas v. U.S.
- Analyze the district court’s reasoning in finding the ACA unconstitutional, including its finding that the individual mandate is not severable from the rest of the ACA’s provisions.
- Discuss the potential healthcare reform provisions put in place by the ACA that could be in jeopardy as a result of this ruling.
- Describe the potential outcomes on appeal.
- Explore the likelihood that Congress will respond legislatively, beyond requesting permission to intervene in the case, to “defend the validity of the ACA.”
Thursday, January 31, 2019
1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M. ET
CLE credit will be applied for in GA, IL, NY, TX and, if needed, NC and VA. Attendees will receive a Uniform Certificate of Attendance via email approximately 30 days after the program to seek CLE credit in other jurisdictions. New York lawyers: This program is considered transitional and non-transitional in content. The interactive webinar format is synchronous and approved for all lawyers. King & Spalding LLP / 1180 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, GA 30309 | CA Provider # 10947.
General information on our practice is available in our electronic publications Serving the Life Sciences Industry, Serving the Healthcare Industry and Around the Corner. If you would like to be included on our regular pharmaceutical manufacturers, medical device manufacturers or healthcare provider mailing lists to receive notices of other events and written updates, you can be added by submitting your full contact information to email@example.com and specifying the list you wish to join.