The news is being dominated by stories about “out of control” drug pricing, particularly in the context of government payor programs like Medicare and Medicaid. Congress has held numerous hearings, and the administration has proposed multiple rulemakings in an effort to address this issue of national importance. For all the effort, however, neither the Executive nor Legislative branch has adequately addressed how drugs and biologics are priced and reimbursed, and why drug prices are what they are. This "fundamentals" webinar will:
- Unpack the seven different federal prescription drug programs, explain how each works, and describe what drives different pricing decisions;
- Explain the six principal ways in which federal and state payment systems operate, focusing on concepts like acquisition cost, rebates, negotiated prices, packaged and prospective payment systems, and other methodologies;
- Discuss the different manufacturer-calculated prices, including Average Manufacturer Price (AMP), Wholesale Acquisition Cost (WAC), Average Wholesale Price (AWP), Medicaid Best Price, and Average Sales Price (ASP);
- Address the different elements of any reimbursement program, including coverage, coding, and payment considerations; and
- Briefly summarize the major recent proposed changes, and anticipate where and how drug and biologics pricing may change in the coming months and years.
CLE credit will be applied for in CA, GA, IL, NY, TX and, if needed, NC and VA. Attendees will receive a Uniform Certificate of Attendance via email approximately 30 days after the program to seek CLE credit in other jurisdictions. New York lawyers: This program is considered transitional and non-transitional in content. The interactive webinar format is synchronous and approved for all lawyers. King & Spalding LLP | 1180 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, GA 30309 | CA Provider # 10947.
General information on our practice is available in our electronic publications Serving the Life Sciences Industry and Serving the Healthcare Industry. If you would like to be included on our regular pharmaceutical manufacturers, medical device manufacturers or healthcare provider mailing lists to receive notices of other events and written updates, you can be added by submitting your full contact information to email@example.com and specifying the list you wish to join.
If you have questions concerning this roundtable webinar, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.