ATLANTA, June 7, 2018 — Today, King & Spalding volunteers donated their time to support children’s hospitals and health organizations in our communities in honor of our firm’s Founders Day. Founders Day is a firm-wide community service initiative that celebrates the legacy of service and community engagement that was established by our founding partners more than 130 years ago.
The Spalding family—including founding partner Jack Spalding and his son, partner and firm leader Hughes Spalding—were philanthropic leaders who were especially active in supporting public and private hospitals so as to increase people’s access to quality healthcare. As part of the Founders Day initiative, more than 250 King & Spalding volunteers invested 650-plus hours of service in 22 communities around the world.
Among the firm’s Founders Day volunteering activities are:
- Organizing crafts and games for patients at Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston and at Hughes Spalding Children’s Hospital in Atlanta.
- Donating hygiene items and assembling care packages for families of young patients in Paris and San Francisco, and assembling no-sew blankets for patients in Denver.
- Collecting books and toys to stock patient playrooms and libraries in New York, Washington, D.C., Moscow and Los Angeles.
- Raising funds for a children’s hospital in Singapore and a charitable initiative in the United Arab Emirates that provides everyday essentials to day laborers.
- Painting a mural to brighten a children’s hospital in Silicon Valley and making 50 congratulatory signs for young patients celebrating treatment milestones in Charlotte.
- Assembling 700 bracelets for children attending a camp for kids with cancer in Austin and Atlanta.
- Holding a bake sale fundraiser in Tokyo.
- Serving dinner to families staying at a Ronald McDonald House in Chicago and raising funds for the Ronald McDonald House in Sacramento.
- Visiting a children’s hospice in London and raising funds for another children’s hospice in Frankfurt.
“It is exciting to see so many King & Spalding volunteers participate in Founders Day,” said Linda Parrish, the firm’s director of community affairs. “Our founding partners were leaders, not only in the legal industry, but in the community. The impact that we make together on Founders Day shows that their legacy of service is still a core firm value more than a century later.”
About King & Spalding
Celebrating more than 130 years of service, King & Spalding is an international law firm that represents a broad array of clients, including half of the Fortune Global 100, with 1,000 lawyers in 20 offices in the United States, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. The firm has handled matters in over 160 countries on six continents and is consistently recognized for the results it obtains, uncompromising commitment to quality, and dedication to understanding the business and culture of its clients. More information is available at www.kslaw.com.