ATLANTA, July 30, 2019 — This June, King & Spalding volunteers donated their time to support children’s hospitals and health organizations in our communities in honor of Founders Day. Founders Day is a firm-wide community service initiative that celebrates the legacy of service and community engagement that was established by the firm’s founding partners more than 130 years ago.
The Spalding family—including founding partner Jack Spalding and his son, partner and firm leader Hughes Spalding—were philanthropic leaders who were especially active in supporting public and private hospitals to increase people’s access to quality healthcare. As part of the Founders Day initiative, more than 300 King & Spalding volunteers invested nearly 1,000 hours of service in 21 communities around the world, benefiting more than 3,000 children and their families.
Among the firm’s Founders Day volunteer activities:
- Organized an “art adventure” party for patients at Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston and hosted a bowling event for disadvantaged children in Singapore.
- Collected books, crafts and toys to stock hospital playrooms in New York and Washington, D.C.
- Hosted a kickball game for children with mental health challenges in Charlotte, and organized crafts and games at a residential facility for children struggling with mental health issues in Atlanta.
- Donated hygiene items and assembled care packages for families in Dubai and Abu Dhabi and assembled no-sew blankets for pediatric hospital patients in Denver.
- Beautified a sensory garden at a children’s hospice in London and raised funds for another children’s hospice in Frankfurt.
- Painted murals in Silicon Valley and San Francisco to brighten a children’s hospital.
- Participated in a community run to raise funds and awareness for a nonprofit that supports children with cancer in Moscow and assembled 700 bracelets for a summer camp for children with cancer in Atlanta.
- Hosted a bake sale in Tokyo to raise funds for a nonprofit that supports hospitalized children.
- Served dinner to families staying at a Ronald McDonald House in Los Angeles and collected supplies for Ronald McDonald Houses in Austin and Paris.
- Assembled 550 clean birthing kits in Atlanta to support infant and maternal health in developing countries.
- Assembled 200 waiting room game bags for patients and siblings at Shriners Hospitals for Children in Sacramento.
- Sorted clothing and other essential items for distribution to children in need through Cradles to Crayons Chicago.
“We are very proud to see so much volunteer activity surrounding Founders Day,” said Linda Parrish, the firm’s director of community affairs. “Our lawyers and staff want to make a difference in the lives of children, which is visible in the creative and meaningful service opportunities that our volunteer leaders planned to celebrate Founders Day. This engagement demonstrates the culture and values that we share across the firm, and it has been fun to see the impact that we can make together.”
About King & Spalding
Celebrating more than 130 years of service, King & Spalding is an international law firm that represents a broad array of clients, including half of the Fortune Global 100, with over 1,100 lawyers in 20 offices in the United States, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. The firm has handled matters in over 160 countries on six continents and is consistently recognized for the results it obtains, uncompromising commitment to quality, and dedication to understanding the business and culture of its clients. More information is available at www.kslaw.com.