The healthcare industry around the world is changing as U.S.-based health systems increasingly explore international operations and foreign investors make strategic investments in U.S. healthcare. Going Global: The Internationalization of the Healthcare Industry will explore these developments and the opportunities and pitfalls they create, including:
- The State of the Market – Explaining the current state of the healthcare industry from U.S. and international perspectives: What factors attract U.S.-based health systems to invest in foreign activities, which areas of the U.S. healthcare industry currently attract international investment, and which segments international investors now avoid (and why).
- Foreign Ownership Restrictions – Exploring proven structures to deal with foreign ownership restrictions (with a focus on the Middle East) and issues to consider when choosing a local partner.
- Due Diligence – Reviewing standard questions that should be explored prior to entering a new market (e.g., localization requirements, payment systems, quality control issues, etc).
- Matching Mission to the Market – Identifying factors that U.S.-based nonprofit health systems should consider when exploring opportunities for international activities and structures for these activities.
- New Horizons for Investment – Considering untapped opportunities for investment in healthcare, such as emerging artificial intelligence technology, digital health resources, consumer-facing healthcare, innovation with academic medical centers, and real estate.
- Lessons Learned – Understanding potential issues from the U.S. and international perspectives that international activities may present.
King & Spalding is an accredited provider of CLE credit in California, Georgia, Illinois, New York and Texas. We can issue reciprocal credit for attorneys licensed in Connecticut, Florida, and New Jersey. We will apply for credit in Colorado, North Carolina and Virginia (subject to MCLE Board approval). For jurisdictions not listed, attendees are provided with a Universal Certificate of Attendance. New York licensed attorneys: Transitional/Appropriate for newly-admitted and experienced attorneys. Financial aid is available for qualifying lawyers. For CLE-related questions, please contact Gisel Arias, firstname.lastname@example.org. King & Spalding, 1180 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, GA 30309. CA Provider #10947.
General information on our practice is available in our electronic publications Serving the Life Sciences Industry and Serving the Healthcare Industry. If you would like to be included on our regular pharmaceutical manufacturers, medical device manufacturers or healthcare provider mailing lists to receive notices of other events and written updates, you can be added by submitting your full contact information to email@example.com and specifying the list you wish to join.