LONDON, NEW YORK, July 16, 2021 – Global Arbitration Review has recognized King & Spalding as one of the top two international arbitration practices worldwide for the third consecutive year in its “GAR 30” guide to the world’s leading international arbitration practices.
According to Global Arbitration Review, “King & Spalding built its name on results,” and is “now regularly found in the top tier of arbitration rankings.”
The GAR 30 commentary quotes King & Spalding’s clients describing the firm’s practice as “committed and highly skilled,” “very pragmatic” and having “the utmost quality” and “the guts to stick to a strategy.”
The publication also highlighted the international arbitration group’s track record in obtaining strong results for clients, including:
- a US$320 million ICSID award against Argentina for Spanish travel group Marsans;
- a series of wins against Ecuador, including for Chevron in a landmark denial of justice claim concerning a US$9.5 billion local court judgment relating to pollution in the Amazon;
- helping India’s Reliance Industries defeat a US$1.7 billion claim by the Indian government over alleged gas migration between adjacent fields;
- a US$500 million award against Kazakhstan for Moldovan investors Anatolie and Gabriel Stati – among the largest ever issued under the Energy Charter Treaty;
- a €178 million ICSID award for Sweden’s Micula brothers against Romania, which triggered a state aid investigation by the European Commission;
- obtaining a US$435 million payout from Mexico’s Pemex for engineering client KBR after persuading the US courts to enforce an ICC award even though it had been annulled by the Mexican courts; and
- helping Chevron and Shell prevail in an ICC dispute with the Philippines over back taxes on revenues from an offshore oil field, an award the firm has said is worth US$4 billion.
King & Spalding’s full GAR 30 commentary can be found here.
About King & Spalding
Celebrating more than 130 years of service, King & Spalding is an international law firm that represents a broad array of clients, including half of the Fortune Global 100, with over 1,200 lawyers in 22 offices in the United States, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. The firm has handled matters in over 160 countries on six continents and is consistently recognized for the results it obtains, uncompromising commitment to quality, and dedication to understanding the business and culture of its clients. More information is available at www.kslaw.com.