On Friday, January 11, 2013, at 1:00-2:30 Eastern Time, King & Spalding will host a Roundtable focused on the government's legislative and enforcement efforts to address the prescription drug abuse epidemic, including in particular its efforts to prevent the diversion of drugs used in the treatment of pain. Panelists will discuss the challenges for practitioners, hospitals, pharmacies, distributors and others in balancing the use of drug therapy for the treatment of pain and the potential for abuse and diversion. We will discuss the roles of Congress and key regulatory agencies, including the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), in addressing prescription drug abuse, and will discuss recent legislative and enforcement efforts. We will also provide practical tips for navigating in the current regulatory environment.
We are also offering a Webinar option for the Roundtable.
- Catherine M. O'Neil
- Theodore M. Hester
- Stephen P. Cummings
- Christina M. Markus
The Roundtable will include the following topics:
- The alarming growth in prescription drug abuse and particularly in the use of medications for the treatment of pain
- The Congressional response to the prescription drug problem: What's on the horizon?
- The state legislative response: Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs and other initiatives
- The roles of the key regulators: The FDA and DEA perspective
- Assessing the "legitimate" treatment of pain: The challenges for medical practitioners and pharmacies
- Manufacturer and distributor obligations to conduct Suspicious Order Monitoring
- "Red Flags" of diversion: Lessons from recent enforcement activities
- Tips for preventing internal diversion and for satisfying regulatory obligations
In-person attendance is limited, so please register soon to reserve seats for your organization. You do not have to be a client to attend, and there is no charge.
You can register to attend in person or by Webinar by clicking the Register button at the bottom of this page. If you are attending in person, lunch will be provided between 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. if you would like to arrive early for that.
General information on our practice is available on the K&S Website and in our electronic publication Serving the Healthcare Industry. If you would like to be included on our regular healthcare practice mailing list to receive notices of other events and written updates, you can be added by submitting your full contact information to email@example.com.
Offices of King & Spalding
1180 Peachtree Street, NE / 16th Floor
Atlanta, GA 30309
If you have questions concerning this Roundtable, contact Marie Parks at firstname.lastname@example.org.