King & Spalding lawyers have represented major and independent oil and gas companies, service companies, equipment suppliers, host governments, state oil companies and financiers in all aspects of international exploration and production, both onshore and offshore.
The firm has considerable experience in helping these clients address the complex exploration and production issues they encounter, including the political stability of host governments, the regulatory environment in developing countries, host country requirements concerning direct investment, exploration, production and abandonment, and similar local law issues.
Areas of Expertise
- Area of mutual interest agreements and unitizations
- Development and investment agreements
- Engineering, procurement and construction contracts for onshore and offshore facilities
- Exploration funding agreements
- Farm-out agreements
- Gas production agreements
- Joint operating agreements (including extensive work on the 2002 AIPN Model International Joint Operating Agreement)
- Management agreements
- Marine and pipeline transportation agreements
- Oil lifting agreements
- Processing agreements
- Production-sharing contracts
- Technology licenses
- Terminal use agreements
- Seismic, drilling and services agreements
- Vessel charters for floating production, storage, and offloading systems and supply ships
In addition, the firm is recognized worldwide for its special expertise in global exploration and development agreements. For example, over the last two years, partners in the firm have provided intensive two-day seminars on upstream government petroleum contracts in Dubai, Rio de Janeiro and Singapore, seminars attended by energy representatives from more than 25 countries.
- King & Spalding is recognized for its “first-class energy team” and ranks as one of the top energy and natural resources firms in the United States in the 2010 edition of Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
- King & Spalding’s Oil and Gas Practice is recognized as a leading practice in Chambers Global 2010.
- King & Spalding was named one of the top energy and natural resources firms nationally (Chambers USA 2010).
- King & Spalding lawyers are ranked nationally by Chambers USA for their oil and gas regulatory and litigation expertise (Chambers USA 2010).