Our health and safety team is an integral part of the firm’s nationally recognized Crisis Management practice and regularly counsels a variety of clients on health and safety matters within the United States and around the world. Our clients are chemical companies, pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, petrochemical companies, conventional and alternative energy companies, foundries, metal fabricators, motor vehicle industry manufacturers, large-chain retail companies, and trade associations. In the energy sector, our work has involved upstream, midstream and downstream operations around the world and has involved offshore E&P and midstream operations in the marine environment. Our health and safety experience includes regulatory advice, enforcement defense, transactional due diligence, OPEX and CAPEX planning, crisis management, privileged investigations of fatalities and serious injuries, and health and safety management system consulting.
Our team is also experienced with DOI/BSEE offshore health and safety compliance, U.S. Coast Guard investigations and regulatory compliance, Chemical Safety Board investigations, and a wide variety of industry and consensus health and safety standards (e.g., NFPA, NEC, ANSI, AIHA, NIOSH, API, OCIMF). Our team, including an experienced maritime lawyer, brings broad interdisciplinary expertise from previous academic training and work experience in the sciences, engineering, manufacturing, and government policy and rule making.
The spectrum of our health and safety work includes:
- Numerous workplace fatality investigations under the jurisdiction of U.S. OSHA, several State Plan OSHAs, and other federal and state health and safety regulators.
- Counseling on industrial hygiene monitoring, employee notifications, and abatement steps related to workplace presence of asbestos, benzene, hexavalent chromium, lead, mercury, and silica, among several other OSHA PEL regulated substances.
- Counseling and enforcement defense related to virtually every federal OSHA and State Plan OSHA general industry standard covering workplace safety.
- Negotiating resolutions of enforcement citations following employee complaints, programmed inspections, and National Emphasis Program inspections and assisting in development of health and safety management systems required under enforcement orders.
- Our work for global clients has included operations governed by the United Kingdom Safety Case regime; our international health and safety experience has also included matters arising in Africa, Australia, Latin America, Canada, France, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Singapore, Pakistan, Kazakhstan, and Southeast Asia.