King & Spalding is one of the most active law firms in the global energy industry. The firm has unsurpassed experience across the entire energy value chain. From upstream oil and gas matters to LNG, petrochemical, power and renewables projects, King & Spalding’s clients turn to the firm to forge solid solutions in the Middle East and beyond.
Many of the firm’s energy lawyers have served as senior in-house energy lawyers with leading international companies. Many others have held leadership roles in the industry, including Practice Group Leader Philip Weems, a former president of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators. Mr. Weems is also identified as among the top 25 energy experts in the world by in-house counsel and peers in Expert Guides to the World’s Leading Lawyers - Best of the Best 2008, Chambers Global, The International Who’s Who of Oil & Gas Lawyers, World’s Leading Energy & Natural Resource Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America have all recognized King & Spalding energy lawyers as among the best in the field.
Committed to the Middle East, Connected Worldwide
King & Spalding has lawyers dedicated to energy projects in the Middle East providing a “real time” regional presence that puts its energy expertise at the fingertips of its clients in the region.
These lawyers possess deep energy experience and an intimate knowledge of the region. Several of them are fluent in Arabic and have lived and practiced in the Gulf region for years. In addition, Chambers Global named five of the firm’s Middle East lawyers as leaders in their fields in 2008. This team is backed by resources from the firm’s Energy Practice Group bases in Houston, London, New York and Washington, D.C.
- Project development
- Project finance (including Islamic finance)
- Acquisitions and divestitures
- International arbitration
- Marketing and trading
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Private equity and investment funds
- Licenses, patents and technology
Energy Industries Served
- Oil & Gas - King & Spalding is a long-time leader in international oil and gas transactions, having handled these matters for over three decades. More than 150 lawyers firm-wide worked on oil and gas matters in 2007 alone. We specialize in upstream and midstream matters and gas and LNG.
- Power - King & Spalding lawyers have been involved in power projects on six continents. They have developed and financed plants from 2 to 2700 MW, utilizing technologies ranging from natural gas, oil and coal to many others, including alternative technologies such as compressed air energy storage.
- Petrochemicals - King & Spalding lawyers have handled numerous petrochemical industry transactions around the world involving the development, financing, and construction of plants and related infrastructure, and a host of related commercial transactions, including feedstock purchases, product sales, toll processing, transportation and technology license agreements.
- Renewable Energy - King & Spalding lawyers have worked on ethanol, biodiesel, solar, biogas, wind, geothermal and hydropower projects and transactions, as well as “clean coal,” nuclear and biomass-related projects and transactions.