Our litigators regularly represent financial services firms in a wide variety of disputes involving highly complex securities and products. Our litigators have tried cases involving securities fraud and complex financial structures. We excel at reducing the complex to something more easily understood by a judge, jury, arbitration panel or mediator to achieve victory. The kinds of matters we frequently handle for our financial services clients include:
- defense of securities fraud and shareholder derivative litigation
- government investigations and white collar defense
- banking practices and antitrust litigation
- contract and tort litigation
- insurance coverage litigation
- real estate lending litigation and dispute counseling.
- hedge fund and private equity litigation
We regularly represent clients during investigations and enforcement proceedings conducted by the SEC, the Department of Justice, the NYSD, NASD Regulation, Inc., the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the New York Attorney General, and other regulatory authorities, as well as in internal corporate investigations.
What sets us apart? We think there are four factors that make us an outstanding choice for financial services firms:
We understand and respond to our clients’ needs. We have a committed, hardworking team that is well accustomed to geographically diverse, time-sensitive matters. We take pride in understanding our clients’ business so that we can truly partner with them and provide counsel that is strategically sound, instead of focused on the exigencies of a particular litigation. We understand the impact decisions will have on our clients’ business as a whole and provide advice appropriately. We also understand our clients’ sensitivities to litigation costs, and we staff and litigate our cases with those sensitivities in mind. When it comes to large cases and significant volumes of electronic discovery, we are able take advantage of the Firm’s Discovery Center to reduce costs without reducing quality.
We try cases. Not every case goes to trial, but every case benefits from trial expertise. Every case requires a cohesive strategy from the outset, and every decision should be made with an eye to what will succeed at trial. We have a proud reputation as successful trial lawyers. Our courtroom reputation assists us in reaching attractive pre-trial settlements. We are experienced in handling complex industry-related issues, as well as cases that turn on evidence regarding custom and practice in the industry. Our financial services litigators often partner with the members of our top-ranked national appellate practice while cases are still at the trial stage, to help ensure that matters are well positioned on appeal. We are trial lawyers, we know how to try cases, and we have an excellent record of successes for our clients.
We are recognized as a top litigation firm. Our litigators are consistently ranked among the top in the nation and around the globe:
- In 2010, The American Lawyer’s biennial Litigation Department of the Year survey named King & Spalding one of the top litigation firms for a fourth consecutive year.
- Our securities litigation practice was recognized as one of the top five Securities Litigation Practice Groups of 2010 by Law360.
- Our class action practice was recognized as one of the top five Class Action Groups of 2010 by Law360.
- American Lawyer’s 2011 Arbitration Scorecard ranked our Firm among the top four international arbitration practices.
- Global Arbitration Review’s Guide to Specialist Arbitration Firms 2011 included King & Spalding among the world’s top 10 global law firms serving as arbitration counsel.
- Our national appellate practice was ranked as a tier 2 top practice in 2011 by Legal500.
- Over 30 King & Spalding lawyers were ranked by their peers in the Commercial Litigation category for the 2010 edition of Best Lawyers in America.
- The American College of Trial Lawyers includes 20 King & Spalding Litigators as members.
We have top clients. We have a strong base of clients who are leaders in the financial services industry, and we are proud to partner with them. Clients of our financial services litigation practice include:
- Bank of America
- Capital One
- Citigroup Global Markets Inc.
- GE Capital and GE Real Estate
- Credit Suisse
- Royal Bank of Canada and RBC Capital Markets
- SunTrust Bank
- Wachovia Bank
- Wells Fargo & Company and Wells Fargo Bank