Experience where it matters. Investigations by enforcement authorities and regulators can be among the most trying matters a financial institution will face. The government has recently become more aggressive in investigating and pursuing enforcement action against financial institutions. King & Spalding's government investigations lawyers who handle these matters successfully understand financial institutions and the government agencies involved, and they are sensitive to the business needs of key company stakeholders.
With deep expertise representing financial services firms, our team has earned a reputation for strategically guiding major financial institutions through complex investigations across a wide spectrum of substantive areas. We have defended financial institutions in investigations and enforcement actions brought by:
- the Department of Justice,
- the Securities & Exchange Commission,
- the Commodity Futures Trading Commission,
- the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency,
- the Federal Reserve,
- the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority,
- the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board,
- related state authorities,
- and the U.K. Financial Conduct Authority.
Investigation and enforcement focus. Our government investigations practice is highly specialized. While other lawyers may “moonlight” in criminal and regulatory investigations, our attorneys devote their entire practices to these high-stakes matters, and our team has the depth to handle numerous, simultaneous investigations.
We know the territory. More than a dozen of our attorneys have prior prosecutorial, regulatory, or Congressional experience. Many of us have “sat in the chair” of the lawyers responsible for government investigations. We have established relationships in the enforcement community and a high level of credibility with enforcement authorities, which allows them to be confident in our findings and representations.
Significant matters we have handled on behalf of financial services firms include:
- Global bank and financial services company in internal investigation and parallel investigations by SEC, Federal Reserve, New York Attorney General, and multiple foreign regulators concerning valuation of credit derivatives
- Global financial institution in matter related to U.S. economic sanctions investigated by DOJ, OFAC, FINRA, Federal Reserve, and New York State authorities
- Global financial institution in parallel investigations by DOJ, IRS, SEC, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, state banking authorities, and a Congressional committee
- Leading U.S. financial institution in criminal antitrust matter investigated by DOJ and SEC
- Major U.S. bank in DOJ money laundering, Bank Secrecy Act, and fraud investigation, with a parallel investigation by the OCC
- Major U.S. bank in four related investigations concerning compliance with SEC Regulation FD, adequacy of periodic disclosures, and loan loss reserves for residential mortgage portfolio
- International investment advisor investigated by DOJ, SEC, and foreign regulators related to insider trading
- Global investment bank in DOJ and SEC investigations involving a high-profile investment manager