We have a deep bench of first-chair trial lawyers, and expertise in the law and science of environmental litigation. Fortune 100 companies choose us to handle their most significant environmental litigation throughout the U.S. and in developing countries.
Our attorneys represent clients in with virtually every type of environmental lawsuit—administrative rule challenges, permit appeals, enforcement defense, cost recovery claims, and trials and arbitrations over alleged environmental contamination.
- Strong experience as lead trial lawyers in high-exposure environmental and toxic tort cases in the most difficult venues in the United States
- Deep bench of experience in international arbitration of high-exposure contamination cases
- Leadership roles in groundwater litigation involving solvents, pesticides, MTBE, dioxins, PFCs, and other substances.
- Energy sector (upstream, downstream, mining, alternative energy)
- Chemical manufacturing sector
- Manufacturing sector
- Development of expert witnesses in highly technical and specialized disciplines
- Oilfield contamination litigation
- Naturally occurring radioactive materials (NORM) litigation
- Fracking litigation
- Drinking water contamination litigation
- Sediment contamination litigation
- Climate change litigation and regulation
- Permit challenges and citizen suits
- CERCLA negotiations, cost recovery and contribution actions
- Natural resources damages litigation
Our environmental lawyers are strategically located to serve clients across the nation and around the globe.
- Atlanta. Chambers USA has consistently ranked K&S at the top of the environmental firms in Georgia and Patricia Barmeyer as the number one environmental lawyer in Georgia, and Les Oakes, an engineer as well as an attorney, has particular expertise in securing and defending air permits.
- Washington. Kathy Rhyne has been recognized by Chambers USA 2011 as "extremely hard working and absolutely amazing to work with;" she has a particular expertise in chemical regulation and risk assessment and the expert work required for the defense of enforcement actions and toxic tort litigation. In both Washington and Houston, Cynthia Stroman employs her experience as a chemical and environmental engineer to address environmental issues in defending clients in the oil and gas, chemical and other energy-intensive industry sectors. Jim Vines has a similar industry sector focus and taps into his extensive in-house experience to help clients address company-wide environmental issues across the globe.
- Houston. Environmental trial lawyer Tracie Renfroe is noted in Chambers for her "intelligent and highly capable approach to litigation," and was recognized by Best Lawyers in America's as Houston Environmental Lawyer of the Year for 2012. Carol Wood defends energy, manufacturing and real estate clients against personal injury, property damage and remediation claims involving oilfield contamination, radioactive materials, chlorinated solvents, and other contaminants, and is recognized by The Legal 500 for environmental litigation. Robert Meadows defends large corporations accused of environmental damage by plaintiffs seeking hundreds of millions of dollars for land restoration, personal injuries and remediation of municipal water supplies. Bruce Hurley represents corporate entities against allegations of environmental contamination resulting from oil and gas development and catastrophic events. Wade Coriell has significant experience advising and representing clients in international environmental disputes.
- San Francisco and Southern California. Gus Filice and Nick Kayhan are nationally recognized in litigation involving groundwater contamination, municipal water supplies, remediation of redevelopment sites, and actions seeking damages for alleged impacts from air emissions generated at oil refineries and from the application of agricultural chemicals.
- Paris. Joëlle Herschtel defends manufacturing clients against personal injury, property damage and remediation claims involving benzene, chlorinated solvents, lead and other contaminants.
- King & Spalding's Environmental Practice received the Law360 "Environmental Group of the Year Award" in 2011.
- Nationally ranked as a leading environmental practice by Chambers USA 2012 Edition.
- Legal 500:US named King & Spalding as one of the top Environmental Litigation practices in the country in its 2012 guide. Many of our lawyers are individually recognized by Legal500.
- In its most recent edition, Chambers USA recognized our environmental lawyers in the District of Columbia, Georgia and Texas.