King & Spalding’s Energy Industries Practice Group is at the forefront of petrochemical, methanol and ethylene projects worldwide, having advised on projects in more than 30 countries. These include a methanol facility in Trinidad, ethylene and polyethylene facilities in Argentina, and a benzene and cyclohexane petrochemical project in Saudi Arabia. The firm is also joint venture counsel for a consortium of well-known energy companies developing renewable power projects in the United States and has assisted several major corporations with their efforts to commercialize.
King & Spalding represents sponsors, lenders and other participants in petrochemical projects throughout the world for the development, financing and/or acquisition of:
- Chemical plants
- Cogeneration facilities
- Gas processing and fractionation plants
- Refineries (including biodiesel)
- Terminals and storage facilities
Drawing on their vast worldwide experience, working knowledge of the downstream industry and background handling transactions across the entire energy value chain, King & Spalding’s lawyers work to understand their petrochemical industry clients’ specific business and legal needs and develop strategies to meet them.
Areas of Expertise
- Acquisitions and divestitures
- Consultancy and services agreements
- Facility operation and maintenance agreements
- Franchise and distributorship agreements
- Ground leases, easements, rights-of-way, and port and industrial development zone agreements
- Joint ventures and project development
- New-build construction and expansions and resolution of disputes
- Processing and marketing, including crude oil and refined products; natural gas and NGLs; and basic, intermediate and specialty chemicals
- Project financing (including Islamic financing)
- Protection and licensing of intellectual property
- Transportation, storage and terminaling of feedstocks and products
- King & Spalding is recognized for its “first-class energy team” and ranks as one of the top energy and natural resources firms in the United States in the 2010 edition of Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
- King & Spalding’s Ooil and Gas Practice is recognized as a leading practice in Chambers Global 2010.
- King & Spalding is named one of the top energy and natural resources firms nationally (Chambers USA 2010).
- King & Spalding lawyers are ranked nationally by Chambers USA for their oil and gas regulatory and litigation expertise (Chambers USA 2010).