King & Spalding’s LNG lawyers have expertise across the complete LNG chain, from upstream exploration and production through processing, liquefaction, marketing, shipping and regasification, including regulation, development, commercial contracting, financing and construction. The team’s experience includes project structuring and risk analysis, development of upstream gas reserves for export projects, joint operating agreements, feedstock gas supply arrangements, development and construction of pipeline, processing and liquefaction facilities, LNG processing arrangements, LNG sale and purchase arrangements, LNG transportation arrangements, development and construction of import terminals, terminal use agreements and send-out pipeline arrangements, regasified LNG marketing arrangements and all related federal and state regulatory matters. King & Spalding has perhaps the world’s leading practice in LNG tolling agreements and terminal use agreements.
King & Spalding originated and negotiated the form of the “Terminal Use Agreement” that is now the basis for commercialization of new LNG import terminals worldwide, especially terminals with multiple customers. The firm has served as lead counsel in the negotiation of more than 15 long-term terminal capacity agreements.
The LNG team at King & Spalding includes experienced lawyers who have dedicated much of their time to LNG-related matters, many of whom held significant LNG-related legal positions at major energy companies prior to coming to King & Spalding. King & Spalding’s LNG team regularly publishes influential papers and articles in leading energy industry publications and members are also regular speakers and session chairpersons at key LNG conferences around the world. A broad range of experience throughout the LNG chain has made King & Spalding the law firm of choice for companies leading the way in the LNG field for matters involving:
- Upstream development projects and joint ventures
- LNG processing and liquefaction projects
- LNG marketing and transportation
- LNG Import, pipeline, storage and other gas projects
- Permitting before the U.S. Coast Guard
- FERC regulatory approvals and disputes
- Regasified LNG sales and marketing
- Complex LNG project structuring and risk analysis
This broad range of experience throughout the LNG chain and around the world has made King & Spalding the law firm of choice for companies leading the way in the LNG field.
- King & Spalding is ranked at the highest level for Energy: LNG firms in the United States in the 2010 edition of Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business.
- Philip Weems was recognized as one of the top 12 “Most Highly Regarded Individuals—Global” in the International Who's Who of Oil & Gas Lawyers, 2009 edition.
- Ken Culotta and Dan Rogers are recognized as “LNG experts” in Chambers Global 2010.
- King & Spalding is recognized for its “first-class energy team” and ranks as one of the top energy and natural resources firms in the United States in the 2010 edition of Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
- King & Spalding was ranked in the 2009 United Arab Emirates section of Legal 500 for Projects & Energy.
- King & Spalding’s lawyers are consistently ranked in the International Who’s Who of Oil & Gas Lawyers.
- King & Spalding lawyers are ranked in Euromoney’s “World’s Leading Energy and Natural Resource Lawyers.”
- King & Spalding is named one of the top energy and natural resources firms nationally (Chambers USA 2010).
- King & Spalding lawyers consistently ranked as Best Lawyers in America.