LNG Leadership. At King & Spalding, we understand the complexities and challenges that liquefied natural gas projects present, and we know the pressures that aggressive timelines, intense competition and volatile markets put on your ability to advance your projects and resolve your disputes.
We understand these challenges—and how to surmount them—because we have been in your shoes: Our energy lawyers have several decades of collective in-house LNG experience and have worked in the LNG field since the late 1980s. We also helped originate many of the commercial structures and agreements widely used in the LNG industry today.
Our history in the LNG field gives us extensive insight into the commercial aspects of the LNG business—insight we put to work to help companies leading the way in the LNG field advance their complex, benchmark projects around the world, including:
- the largest LNG export project under development worldwide, which is also the first LNG export project in Mozambique;
- the first multi-user, multi-use LNG import terminal to be built in Singapore;
- the first LNG export project to be constructed in Texas;
- a first-of-its-kind LNG production facility project in Papua New Guinea;
- the first proposed offshore LNG import terminal in India;
- the world’s first onboard LNG regasification vessels;
- the first LNG import terminal in The Netherlands;
- the first LNG export project proposed in the European Union;
- the first LNG import terminal proposed in Uruguay;
- and many others.
For an extended list of our recent LNG work, please visit our LNG matters page.
Valued Legal Advice, Informed Business Counsel. We listen closely to understand what you consider a successful conclusion to your project—and work diligently and efficiently as part of your team to reach it. We focus on your legal challenges in the context of your broader business goals and provide legal advice that reflects our deep understanding of the commercial aspects of the LNG industry.
Our clients greatly value this approach, as has been shown again and again in the leading guides that rank lawyers.
- Most recently, our global energy practice, which is led by members of our LNG team, was named one of five finalists for Chambers’ 2013 Global Projects/Energy Firm of the Year.
- In addition, the Chambers guides—which rank lawyers and firms based on client feedback—have ranked all of our lead LNG partners as leaders in the energy and projects field and named our overall energy and projects practice among the best globally, as well as in regions and countries including Asia-Pacific, Latin America, the Middle East, Russia, Singapore and the United States.
Extensive Global Capabilities. Our LNG team’s unique successes on behalf of our clients span the globe and every aspect of the industry. Our LNG lawyers, based in Asia, Europe and the United States, have handled hundreds of matters in more than 40 countries on six continents, including:
- Upstream development projects and joint ventures
- LNG processing and liquefaction projects
- LNG marketing and SPA (sale and purchase agreement) negotiations
- LNG shipping and vessel charters
- LNG import, pipeline, storage and other gas projects
- Permitting before the U.S. Coast Guard
- FERC regulatory approvals and disputes
- Regasified LNG sales and marketing
- LNG peaking facilities and LNG as transportation fuel transactions
- Complex LNG project structuring (tolling, buy-sell and within-the-concession structures) and risk analysis
- EPC contract negotiations
For additional detail on our global LNG capabilities, please consult our LNG brochure and our Global Energy brochure.