Energy companies need counsel skilled at structuring and negotiating project, sovereign, corporate finance and security agreements that address their unique business needs. King & Spalding has broad experience handling energy finance matters ranging from upstream oil and gas matters to refinery, LNG, petrochemical, power and renewable energy projects and Shari’ah-compliant structures throughout the United States, Canada, Latin America, the Middle East and Asia. Leading lenders, underwriters, developers, sponsors, equity participants, construction contractors, financial guarantors and governments turn to King & Spalding for this experience and its customized, multidisciplinary approach to handling their critical energy finance matters.
King & Spalding’s multioffice Finance Practice, with more than 50 lawyers located across the globe, provides clients with advice on a wide range of transactions, including investment-grade and subinvestment-grade credit facilities on both a syndicated and single-lender basis and leveraged cash-flow financings.
Areas of Expertise
- U.S. and cross-border project finance
- Broadly syndicated revolving and letter of credit facilities
- Acquisition finance, including first- and second-lien term loans
- Subordinated debt and other mezzanine financings
- Fund formation and investment
- Shari’ah-compliant financing structures
- Asset-based financings
- Debtor-in-possession and exit financings
- Tax-exempt finance
- Private placements of debt securities
- Interest rate and currency swaps
- Commodity hedging transactions
- Financings backed by credit default swaps
- Credit-linked securities
- Monoline bond insurance
- Export credit agency loans and guarantees
- Letters of credit and other forms of credit enhancement
- Sovereign guarantees
- Trade finance
- King & Spalding is lauded by Chambers Global 2010 as possessing a “thriving energy M&A and project development and finance practice.”
- King & Spalding is recognized for its “first-class energy team” and ranks as one of the top energy and natural resources firms in the United States in the 2010 edition of Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
- King & Spalding is named one of the top energy and natural resources firms nationally (Chambers USA 2010).
- In its 2009 edition, the IFLR 1000 recognized King & Spalding as one of the world’s leading law firms advising on matters of corporate finance, bank lending and project finance.
- Five King & Spalding Finance lawyers earned spots in the 2009 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, which is based on interviews with thousands of clients and attorneys.
- Chambers USA 2009 named King & Spalding’s Finance and Bankruptcy groups as leading Tier 1 practices.
- SNL Financial ranked King & Spalding seventh (measured by transaction value) among legal advisors in M&A energy transactions in 2009.
- Project Finance recognized the firm’s work in connection with a major expansion to Petroterminal de Panama, S.A.’s crude oil storage and handling facilities in Panama as 2009 Latin American Refinancing Deal of the Year.