Construction Transactions | Construction Disputes
Extensive Experience; Deep Bench. King & Spalding has one of the largest transactional construction and procurement practices in the world, with deep experience and expertise representing owners, developers and lenders in drafting and negotiating construction-related agreements for major global projects. We have drafted and negotiated construction-related contracts for projects in over 50 countries in the world and 40 states in the United States, valued in the hundreds of billions of dollars.
Ready to Roll Up Our Sleeves. Many of us are former engineers or otherwise have hands-on construction industry experience and add value by “rolling up our sleeves” and working with the owner’s engineers, architects and consultants to coordinate the technical exhibits with the terms and conditions of the relevant agreements to help prevent common contracting pitfalls. Our team’s lawyers also have extensive prior experience arbitrating and litigating construction disputes, augmented by the firm’s premiere international arbitration and business litigation practices, giving the team a strong understanding of problems that can arise during projects and how to avoid or mitigate them.
Recognized. Our practice is recognized as a leading practice by the leading publications that rank law firms based on client feedback:
- Legal 500 US 2015 recognized King & Spalding as having one of the top five construction practices in the United States (a “Tier 1” National Construction practice);
- The annual Chambers guides consistently rank our construction practice and its lawyers among the best in their regions.
- Chambers USA selected King & Spalding as one of five finalists for its 2015 Global Projects & Energy: Oil & Gas Firm of the Year.
- In 2015, Who’s Who Legal recognized King & Spalding as having one of the top fifteen construction practices in the world.
- In 2009, King & Spalding’s construction team was a finalist for the Chambers USA Award for Excellence in Construction.
- According to Chambers USA, “[King & Spalding has] a distinguished team with great experience on international projects,” and “knows all the ins and outs of the construction business and how to protect [their] clients….Energy is the forte of the team.”
Owner and Developer Focused. Our construction transactional team represents primarily owners, developers and lenders, and we have drafted and negotiated thousands of construction-related agreements for major projects in North America, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, the Commonwealth of Independent States, Africa and Asia, with project values as high as US$40 billion, including:
- natural gas liquefaction facilities
- natural gas pipelines
- natural gas storage facilities
- thermal power plants (nuclear, coal, combined cycle and gas fired)
- uranium enrichment facilities
- hydroelectric plants
- compressed air energy storage facilities
- offshore oil production facilities
- wind farms
- petrochemical facilities
- cement manufacturing facilities
- steel manufacturing facilities
- copper and coal mining facilities
- hydrocarbon extraction
- liquefied natural gas (LNG) regasification facilities
- sports stadiums
- major transport projects
- water treatment plants
- desalination facilities
- office towers
- mixed-use developments
- hospitals and other healthcare facilities
Global. King & Spalding’s construction dispute lawyers are located in Atlanta, Houston, London, Paris, San Francisco, Dubai and Abu Dhabi, and Singapore.
Broad Experience. Our Construction Disputes Practice includes expert determinations, arbitrations, and trials involving contract disputes, architect and engineer liability claims, products liability and warranty claims, building design defects, transportation and airport concerns, environmental concerns, public and private surety bond claims, construction liens, and acceleration and delay claims.
We Know ADR. Our construction lawyers are familiar with the entire range of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, including expert determinations, neutral evaluation, appraisal arbitration, mediation, dispute review boards, and mini-trials. The breadth of our arbitration experience enables us to collaborate with in-house counsel to determine when and whether the use of arbitration or other ADR processes are more appropriate than full-blown litigation or trial.
Hands-On Experience. Our construction lawyers have extensive hands-on experience analyzing, drafting, and negotiating global project agreements. The team’s acquired knowledge includes preparing design and construction agreements ranging from architectural and engineering contracts, design-build, engineer-procure-construct (EPC) and construction management agreements. This expertise translates into a proven ability to successfully unwind and resolve the full gamut of construction disputes.
- Chambers Global 2015 ranks King & Spalding energy lawyers for Projects global-wide and in a number of regions including Africa, Asia, France, Latin America, the Middle East, Russia, and the United States.
- Chambers Global describes the firm’s construction practice as having “[w]ell-balanced contentious and non-contentious capabilities, assisting developers and contractors throughout the project life cycle.”
- For international arbitration, King & Spalding is one of the top firms in the United States, as ranked by Chambers USA 2015, and one of the top five firms in the world, as ranked by Global Arbitration Review.
- Legal 500 US 2015 ranked King & Spalding as having one of the top five energy litigation practices in the country.
Areas of Expertise
- Trials, arbitrations and mediations involving contract disputes
- Architect and engineer liability claims
- Products liability and warranty claims
- Building design defects
- Transportation and airport concerns
- Environmental concerns
- Public and private surety bond claims
- Construction liens
- Acceleration and delay damages claims
- Resolution of international contract disputes, design and construction claims