King & Spalding’s EU competition and regulatory team advises on all aspects of EU competition law and counsels clients at the EU level before the European Commission, the General Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union, and at the European national level, before the competition authorities and courts in the Member States in the EU.
Areas of Expertise
- Merger control, acquisitions and joint ventures
- Advisory and counselling (agreements and commercial practices)
- Antitrust disputes and litigation
- Regulated industries and industry specialties (including communications, energy (electricity and gas), financial services, life sciences, high-technology, media, transport (rail, airports))
- State aid
- Compliance and dawn raids
Comprehensive Antitrust Experience
Our competition lawyers have local and international experience to provide analysis and solutions to the full range of our clients’ competition law needs - in the EU and beyond. We assist our clients in:
Considering and securing merger control approval for complex transactions. We have a strong track record in assisting clients secure merger clearances before the European Commission, in handling national merger control filings in the EU and in coordinating the European merger control aspects with multi-jurisdictional merger control in international deals.
Assessing the legality of agreements commercial practices. The Treaty on the functioning of the European Union prohibits agreements or arrangements that prevent, restrict or distort competition and which may affect trade between Member States. It also prohibits the abuse of a dominant market position. We regularly advise on the competition law implications of agreements, including cooperative joint ventures (which fall short of mergers), supply and distribution arrangements, agreements relating to IP and commercial practices.
Navigating antitrust disputes and litigation. We have wide experience in advising on, and representing clients in, appeals against decisions of the EU competition and regulatory authorities as well as antitrust-driven private actions and arbitrations.
Dealing with market and sector investigations. The European Commission and national regulators are increasingly conducting industry wide inquiries where there are concerns about market failure not exclusively related to infringement by individual companies. We have acted on many of the most significant market investigations in the EU and at national level in the UK.
Analysing and dealing with State aid compliance and enforcement. Our lawyers have experience in advising recipients of State support, granting authorities and companies seeking redress where they have seen their competitors unfairly given State funding or other support contrary to the EU State aid rules.
Developing a competition risk management programme. We provide a complete competition compliance service that will seek to prevent an infringement taking place, address the immediate effects of an investigation by attending a dawn raid and help the business address longer-term issues.
High Valued-Added Solutions
- Pre-eminent reputation in competition and antitrust. Our clients have the reassurance of working with a major international firm whose lawyers are widely recognised as leading authorities in antitrust, competition and dispute resolution.
- Deep industry expertise. Our range of experience extends to all sectors of the economy. This allows us to combine intimate knowledge of the sector with specialist experience of antitrust and to promote effective dialogue between industry participants and authorities.
- Relationships with authorities, policy makers and industry experts. Our team has developed important ‘on the ground’ relationships, including with the EU and national competition and sector regulators, economists and industry bodies.