King & Spalding is the most experienced e-Discovery law firm in the nation. We pioneered the dedicated, document review facility when we established our Discovery Center in 1995. Over the last 18 years, we have been at the forefront of developing high quality, cost-effective solutions to the challenges of identifying, preserving, collecting, reviewing, and producing documents. Our success is best evidenced by our growth. We began with one client in one case. Today, with more than 200 full-time e-Discovery attorneys and legal professionals, we have served over 225 companies, including some of the largest in the world.
The Discovery Center is committed to meeting client needs in both the litigation-based discovery and transaction-based diligence arenas. We partner with our clients to provide a full range of document services by leveraging our many years of experience with state-of-the-art technology. We know how to manage the challenges of discovery in all areas, including individual cases, class actions, Attorney General inquiries, and government investigations. Likewise, our team has experience in a broad range of transactional matters, including contract review and agreement drafting.
Our reputation for providing top level e-Discovery services is well established among our clients and the legal community, as the Discovery Center was recently recognized as a "Best E-Discovery Company-National" by the Daily Report.
Meeting the Challenge
- Dedicated Personnel: A key strength is our highly experienced, dedicated team of legal professionals ready to serve your needs. Our team is led by Dan Willoughby, a 27-year litigation partner and e-Discovery expert, whose practice is devoted exclusively to pre-trial discovery. Our e-Discovery attorneys are full-time King & Spalding employees who only perform discovery tasks. We do not employ contract or temporary attorneys.
- Full-Service Discovery: Our lawyers perform the full range of discovery tasks from pre-suit preservation to post-suit record retention. In addition to document reviews and logging, we are experienced in maintaining document repositories, preparing written discovery responses, and developing extranets to assist companies with case management and information sharing.
- The Most Experienced Team: We know how to do it because we have done it before. The Discovery Center has experience in a wide range of matters, including cases involving antitrust, commercial disputes, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, pharmaceutical and medical device issues, product liability, energy-related litigation, and due diligence. We have been involved in discovery in every state in the U.S., including the most plaintiff-friendly jurisdictions. We are veterans of pre-trial discovery. Our 57 staff attorneys lead the document management industry with an average tenure of 8+ years at the Discovery Center. Regardless of whether the matter is a production of millions of documents or a focused review done in close coordination with case counsel, the Discovery Center has a proven team to meet any challenge.
- Proven Protocols and Workflows: The Discovery Center has developed best-in-class protocols for every phase of discovery. We have refined these protocols over hundreds of matters. We are experts in the use of advanced culling methods to reduce the number of collected records that ultimately require individual attorney review for production. We customize review workflows for optimal efficiency. Our best-practice quality assurance procedures ensure an accurate and consistent work product prior to production. Our method for drafting privilege log entries, enhanced by years of litigation, utilizes automated features to efficiently produce a privilege log able to withstand challenges.
- State-of-the-Art Workspace: Conveniently located in Midtown Atlanta, the Discovery Center is a stand-alone facility designed from the ground up to be the optimal environment for discovery work. The facility has over 44,000 square feet dedicated to discovery operations in a secure building with guards on-site 24-hours a day, controlled access, and video monitoring.
- Leading-Edge Technology: We employ cutting-edge technology to reduce document review costs. We utilize technology-assisted review (“TAR”) or predictive coding, concept clustering, and email threading to increase both review rates and overall coding quality. TAR categorizes broad groups of documents based on the expert review of a small subset, greatly accelerating the review process. Concept clustering and email threading technology group similar documents and emails based on like ideas or related communications, providing greater organization for reviewers, which increase reviewspeed and accuracy. Our e-Discovery attorneys are highly trained and proficient in the use of the most advanced review platforms including Relativity, Recommind, Ringtail, iConect, Clarvergence, Catalyst, Introspect, Stratify, Servient, OnTrack Inview, and Clearwell.
- Proven Quality and Value: The speed and efficiency of our experienced attorneys, following proven protocols, and using advanced technology and workflows, results in substantially reduced costs for our clients. In side-by-side comparisons with other providers, including contract attorney agencies and offshore operations that advertise lower hourly rates, King & Spalding consistently produces higher quality document reviews in less time at a lower overall cost.
Discovery by the Numbers
- 18 years the Discovery Center has been in continuous operation
- 50 states in which the Discovery Center has collected or produced documents
- 180+ full-time dedicated e-Discovery attorneys, all K&S employees
- 8 years average tenure working at the Discovery Center for staff attorneys
- 600,000 privilege log entries drafted by the Discovery Center
- 100 million+ pages screened and reviewed for production to discovery requests
- 0 sanctions granted against clients
The Discovery Center is located at 1230 W. Peachtree Street, NE, Atlanta, GA 30309. For a location map, click here.