Ulf H. Grundmann is partner in King & Spalding’s Life Science Practice Group in Germany. His practice concentrates heavily on Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals, Cosmetics and Food Industries for almost twenty years. Mr. Grundmann advises clients in the different stages of the life cycle of a product, including:
- product development,
- advertising and promotion,
- product launch,
- aspects related to parallel importation,
- protection against falsified products,
- recalls, if necessary and
He counsels clients in all areas of EU regulatory, unfair competition and compliance law and represents clients before national and European authorities including the European Commission. In addition he advises on corporate and financial transactions related to life science companies with his expertise and experience in life sciences regulatory law. Having actively practiced in the area of litigation, in particular as appellate litigator, for many years, Mr. Grundmann is very well-known for representing his clients in litigation cases before German and European courts, including the General Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union.
Prior to joining King & Spalding, Mr. Grundmann was partner with the international law firm Bird & Bird and was leading their global Medical Devices and Food & Beverages Sector Groups. Mr. Grundmann is well-connected with many lawyers concentrated in the regulated industries in almost all member states of the European Union. With this network of legal experts in the pharma, medical devices and food industries he advises clients from all over the world in European and national law in Europe.
Mr. Grundmann has been identified as a life sciences expert in several publications like JUVE and Legal 500 for many years and has been recognized as “Life Sciences Star” in the inaugural edition of LMG Life Sciences – Europe 2014.
- counseling a world-wide market leading manufacturer of Medical Devices in regulatory, advertising law and in aspects related to parallel imports and representing the client before German courts;
- counseling a world-wide leading manufacturer of medicinal products in all aspects of parallel imports in the EU and representing the client before German courts;
- counseling internationally acting pharmaceutical companies in the area of distinction between food and pharmaceutical products;
- representing Chemische Fabrik Kreussler in a case before the Court of Justice of the European Union concerning the distinction between medicinal products and cosmetic products (C- 308/11);
- representing a pharmaceutical company in a case related to Health claims on botanicals before the European Commission;
- counseling a US-based manufacturer of Medical Devices concerning EU regulatory law in an IPO;
- counseling a German manufacturer of Medicinal Products concerning EU regulatory law in a M&A transaction;
- counseling a Japanese manufacturer of Medical Devices concerning the market access in the European Union;
- representing manufacturers of medicinal products and medical devices in cases concerning the market authorization and the “CE-mark” versus authorities and Notified Bodies;
- counseling a manufacturer of food products in the area of recalls;
- counseling a Germany-based manufacturer of beverages in developing and implementing a world-wide compliance-system;
- counseling a US-based company in distribution law and, in particular developing and implementing a selective distribution system;
- counseling a US-based manufacturer of food supplement regarding direct marketing;
- counseling a Germany-based company on development of a new diet food product and advertising law; and
- counseling US-based companies concerning ingredients, recipes, labeling and advertising of food supplements and representing the client before German and European courts.
Speeches and Publications
Mr. Grundmann is a frequent speaker and moderator at various Life Sciences and Food conferences. In addition he serves as lecturer at the Frankfurt School of Finance and Management and the Deutsche Anwalts Akademie. He is a contributing author of the Guide to EU Pharmaceutical Regulatory Law published by Wolters Kluwer in all editions since firstly published in 2010. He also is the editor and author of the law magazine Lebensmittel & Recht (Food & Law), author of Münchener Anwaltshandbuch Gewerblicher Rechtsschutz (Munich Handbook IP-Law), and editor and author of Gesundheitsbezogene Lebensmittel (Food-related Law).