Tim Burbury is a partner in the Global Transactions Practice Group and is based in Abu Dhabi, where he leads the firm’s Middle East Construction Practice. He also co-leads the Middle East Projects/PPP Practice and the leads the Global District Energy Practice.
Mr. Burbury specializes in construction and infrastructure transactions, particularly BOT/BOO concessions and their related acquisitions/dispositions and project financings. He also advises on pure EPC transactions and their related disputes.
His practice covers transactions in these sectors: energy, utilities, social infrastructure (healthcare, education, housing) and transportation.
Mr. Burbury has considerable experience in projects procured under Public Private Partnership (PPP) models. He is currently advising on a number of PPPs in the Middle East.
He is admitted to practice in Tasmania, Victoria, the High Court of Australia and Hong Kong.
Publications, Presentations & Speeches
Mr. Burbury regularly presents and writes on a range of topics including the following:
- Invited speaker at international conferences on topics including infrastructure projects, PPPs and utilities including in Singapore, 2016; Bangkok, 2015; Beijing, 2011 & 2012; Kuala Lumpur, 2012 & 2014; Abu Dhabi, 2010 & 2011, Dubai, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016; Saudi Arabia, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016; Kuwait 2011; and Doha, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016.
- “PPPs in the Middle East and North Africa: what is the status of the PPP legislative framework , what more can be done and where are the PPP opportunities?”, 2016 (http://www.kslaw.com/imageserver/KSPublic/library/publication/presentation/2016/PPPs-throughout-the-GCC.pdf)
- Planning Tendering & Closing Global PPP Projects”, Client Alert 2016
- “Successful Delivery of Global District Energy Projects”, Singapore, 2016
- “Saudi Arabia and the Gulf Cooperation Council: Infrastructure Delivery Including Under a Public Private Partnership Model: Top 10 Tendering Tips” MEED 2016 and Energy Newsletter, 2016 (https://kslawemail.com/77/1229/pages/index.asp)
- “Will PPPs Provide the Catalyst for Waste to Energy Projects in the GCC?”, Energy Newsletter, 2016 (https://kslawemail.com/77/1124/pages/index.asp)
- “Generating Revenue from a Solar Project – the Power Purchase Agreement”, Energy Newsletter, 2015 (http://www.kslaw.com/library/newsletters/EnergyNewsletter/2015/May/article12.html)
- “Global Solar Energy – A Bright Future”, Energy Newsletter, 2015 (http://www.kslaw.com/library/newsletters/EnergyNewsletter/2015/April/article1.html)
- Project Finance Group of the Year: King & Spalding, Law360 2014 (http://www.kslaw.com/imageserver/KSPublic/library/inthepress/1-14_Project_Finance_Group_Of_The_Year_King__Spalding.pdf)
- Author of ‘District Heating and Cooling - Country by Country – 2013 Survey: Chapter on the United Arab Emirates’, Euroheat & Power, 2013
- “PF2 and its relevance to PPPs in the GCC”, Energy Newsletter, 2013 (http://www.kslaw.com/library/newsletters/EnergyNewsletter/2013/September/article6.html)
- “First Energy Concession under innovative model to reach financial close in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia”, Energy Newsletter, 2013 (http://www.kslaw.com/library/newsletters/EnergyNewsletter/2013/April/article5.html)
- “Jabal Omar: A Case Study”, Measure Magazine, 2013 (http://www.kslaw.com/library/publication/measure_Winter2013.pdf)
- “Back-to-back – the pass-through of construction risk from project agreement through to subcontracts under public private partnerships (PPPs) and energy infrastructure projects”, Energy Newsletter, 2013 (http://www.kslaw.com/library/newsletters/EnergyNewsletter/2013/February/article6.html)
- “Splitting EPC Contracts”, Energy Newsletter, 2012 (http://www.kslaw.com/library/newsletters/EnergyNewsletter/2012/April/article4.html)
- “Infrastructure & Project Finance”, Financier Worldwide, 2012 (http://www.kslaw.com/imageserver/KSPublic/library/publication/2012articles/9-12FinancierBurbury.pdf)
- “The Global Rise of District Energy”, International District Energy Association, 2012.
- “Monetizing Utility Infrastructure Assets”, Law360, 2012 (http://www.kslaw.com/imageserver/KSPublic/library/publication/2012articles/1-12Law360Burbury.pdf)
- “Monetising Utility Assets in Difficult Financial Markets”, Energy Newsletter, 2011 (http://www.kslaw.com/library/newsletters/EnergyNewsletter/2011/November/article3.html)
- “A New Delivery Model for District Energy Projects: Public-Private-Partnerships”; Energy Newsletter, 2011 (http://www.kslaw.com/library/newsletters/EnergyNewsletter/2011/June/article2.html)
- “K&S Takes Lead in Saadiyat Energy Tender” Global Energy Review, 2011
- “Tunnel vision: Legal Risks Commonly Encountered in Tunnelling Projects”, The Big Project Magazine, 2010.
- “Tough and getting tougher: the ‘dire need’ of Dubai's Foreign Companies,” Construction Week, 2009.
- “Developing Abu Dhabi’s Infrastructure”, Alert, 2010
- “Project Procurement: designing a successful model,” Abu Dhabi 2009 and previously as part of the ALB's Construction Law Masterclass, 2007.
- “Procurement Options for LRT systems,” Hong Kong, 2007.
- “PPPs structures for Correctional Facilities projects,” Hong Kong, 2006.
- “PPPs revisited: the Output Specification,” Hong Kong, 2005.
- “Liquidated Damages and the Prevention Principle,” Australia, 2002.
- “EPC Contracts from the Contractor’s Perspective,” Australia, 2001.
- “The Hidden Dangers of Split EPC Contracts,” International Bar Association’s Asia Pacific Forum Newsletter Vol. 8 No. 2, 2000.