Sven Wortberg is a partner in the Capital Transactions and Real Estate Practice Group in the Frankfurt office of King & Spalding. With more than 13 years of experience, his practice focuses on the representation of investors regarding all aspects of international and German real estate transactions including financing and structural issues. His practice also involves corporate and insolvency matters, the set-up of joint ventures and asset management work.
Mr. Wortberg inter alia represents investment companies, open-ended and closed-ended real estate investment funds and institutional investors in all aspects of their acquisitions and disposals, including regulatory matters. He is experienced in single asset and portfolio transactions regarding all real estate asset classes. Mr. Wortberg is appointed as arbitrator (Schiedsgutachter) with respect to disputes related to real estate law.
Chambers Europe 2016 recognizes Mr. Wortberg as a “Leading Individual” in real estate law. Pursuant to German leading law magazine JUVE (2016/2017), the competition states that Mr. Wortberg is “very dedicated” and an “excellent practitioner”.
Mr. Wortberg received his J.D.-equivalent (erstes Staatsexamen) with honors from the University of Göttingen in 1998. In 2003, he received his Ph.D.-equivalent (Dr. iur.) with honors from the University of Göttingen. He is a member of the German Bar Association (Bundesrechtsanwaltskammer) and the Frankfurt Bar Association (Rechtsanwaltskammer Frankfurt am Main).
Before joining King & Spalding in January 2009, Mr. Wortberg worked for other major international law firms in Frankfurt.
Publications / Lecturer Engagements
Mr. Wortberg is the author of numerous publications on real estate, corporate, insolvency and investment law and regularly speaks on such topics. Recent activities include, inter alia:
- Fehlende Vertretungszusätze und § 550 BGB – Praxishinweise für Rechtsanwender sowie ein Vorschlag zur grundsätzlichen Lösung des Problems (Missing references regarding the representation of third parties and the written form requirement pursuant to sec. 550 of the German Civil Code – practical guidelines and a proposal to solve the issue), in: Zeitschrift für Immobilienrecht, Issue 21, 2011
- Die Mieterdienstbarkeit - Zum Interessenausgleich zwischen Vermieter, Mieter und finanzierender Bank (Tenant Easements - Balancing the Interests of Landlords, Tenants and Financing Banks), in: Zeitschrift für Immobilienrecht, Issue 16, 2011
- Real Estate Law, in: Business Laws of Germany(West/Thomson Reuters), Chapter 19, 3rd edition 2011
- Energetische Sanierung - Vermieter auf unsicherem Terrain (Energy Saving Refurbishment Measures - Uncertainties Faced by Landlords), in: Immobilienmanager, Issue 4, 2011
- Die „Miteigentumslösung“ bei Immobilien-Spezialfonds - Eine Anleitung für institutionelle Investoren (The Co-Ownership Modell regarding Real Estate Investment Funds - A Guide for Institutional Investors), lecture conducted on 15 November 2010
- Käuferschutz im Notverkauf - Die wichtigsten Klauseln (Protecting Purchasers in a Fire Sale - Relevant Legal Language), in: Immobilienzeitung, Issue 37, 2009