Stuart Isaacs QC is a partner and Barrister in the London office of King & Spalding. He is a member of the firm’s International Arbitration Group and splits his time between London and Asia.
Stuart is an expert in International Arbitration and in Commercial law. As well as advising and representing clients in court and in arbitration proceedings, he accepts appointments as an international commercial arbitrator and mediator. He has extensive experience of arbitration worldwide, and particularly in Asia, under ICC, LCIA, SIAC, HKIAC, KCAB and UNCITRAL Rules and in ad hoc arbitrations.
In over 30 years of practice, Stuart has appeared as counsel in hundreds of court cases and arbitrations in London and around the world. He appears regularly in all the superior courts in England, the European Court of Justice and in other jurisdictions in Asia and the Caribbean. Since becoming a Queen’s Counsel in 1991, he has been appointed to numerous arbitration tribunals. He also sits as an accredited mediator.
He is the first London QC to have been authorised by the Singapore Attorney General to practise as a foreign lawyer and travels regularly to the region.
Stuart is ranked in Band 1 in the 2014 Chambers Global for Arbitration (International): Most In Demand Arbitrators - Asia-Pacific Region. Interviewees cite him as an "absolutely excellent" arbitrator who is increasingly active in Asia. One commentator states: "I have seen him in action as an arbitrator and he is first rate. He is well-prepared and astute, and has invested time and effort in understanding the cultural nuances of the Asian market - highly recommended."
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)Arbitrator
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)Arbitrator
- Fellow and Member of Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (ACICA) Panel of Arbitrators
- Member of Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) International Panel of Arbitrators
- Member of Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre Council (HKIAC) and Panel of Arbitrators
- Member of Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB) Panel of Arbitrators
- ADRGroup Mediator
- Singapore Mediators Centre (SMC), Principal Mediator
- Member of the Commercial and Chancery Bar Associations
- Member of the New York Bar
Awards & Recognition
- Downing College Scholar
- Cambridge University Rebecca Flower Scholar
- Wiener-Anspach Foundation Scholar 1975-1976
- Leverhulme Trust European Studentship 1975-1976
- Lincoln’s Inn Hardwicke Scholar and Wigglesworth Scholar