Steve Jones has been a partner in King & Spalding’s Washington, D.C. office since 2000 and has practiced international trade law since 1990. He served as chair of the firm’s International Trade Practice Group from 2005 to 2013.
Mr. Jones represents domestic industries (petitioners) in trade remedy proceedings, particularly antidumping and countervailing duty investigations, administrative reviews, and appellate litigation. He appears regularly before the U.S. Department of Commerce, the U.S. International Trade Commission, the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, the U.S. Court of International Trade, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and NAFTA dispute settlement panels. He also advises clients on dispute settlement proceedings in the WTO.
Examples of Mr. Jones’s antidumping and countervailing duty experience include the following U.S. cases:
- Aluminum Extrusions From China (antidumping and countervailing duty orders imposed on May 26, 2011)
- Coated Free Sheet Paper from China, Indonesia, and Korea (first-ever application of the countervailing duty law to imports from China)
- Wooden Bedroom Furniture from China (then-largest antidumping case ever against imports from China)
- Magnesium Metal from China and Russia (first-ever market economy antidumping case against imports from Russia)
In addition to antidumping and countervailing duty litigation, Mr. Jones also counsels U.S. importers on compliance with U.S. customs laws, including internal investigations, audits, compliance programs, and penalty proceedings, and he advises clients on the customs provisions of NAFTA and other free trade agreements. He also regularly conducts international trade due diligence in connection with corporate transactions and public disclosures.
The author of “Evaluating an Antidumping or Countervailing Duty Case,” a chapter of Inside the Minds: International Trade Law Best Practices (Aspatore Books: 2006), Mr. Jones was selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2008-2014 editions of The Best Lawyers in America® in the specialties of International Trade and Finance Law. He was also individually recognized and “highly recommended” in the 2011 Legal 500: US guide, and he was named a Washington, D.C. “Super Lawyer” in 2013 and 2014.
Mr. Jones is a member of the Bar of the District of Columbia and is admitted to the U.S Court of International Trade and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Author, “Evaluating an Antidumping or Countervailing Duty Case,” Inside the Minds: International Trade Law Best Practices (Aspatore Books: 2006)
Awards & Recognition
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America guide, 2008-2014
- Selected as a Washington, D.C. “Super Lawyer” in 2013 and 2014