Simon Dunbar is a partner in King & Spalding’s Singapore office and a member of the firm’s International Arbitration group. With more than 10 years of practice, Mr. Dunbar has experience of dozens of international arbitrations under the ICC, LCIA, HKIAC, SIAC and UNCITRAL Rules, as well as ad hoc proceedings, arising from energy, construction, M&A, joint venture and general commercial disputes. These arbitrations have involved a variety of applicable laws, venues and subject matters, with a particular focus on Asia. Mr. Dunbar has been based in Asia since 2006 and his experience extends across the Asia-Pacific region.
In addition to his work as counsel, Mr. Dunbar has been appointed as sole and presiding arbitrator in ICC, SIAC and ad hoc arbitrations. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), and is listed on the panel of arbitrators of the KLRCA and on the reserve panel of the SIAC. He also serves on the SIAC Users Council, on the committee of YSIAC, and as a Director of CIArb (Singapore branch).
Mr. Dunbar also has experience of managing court litigations and assisting clients in conducting internal investigations and compliance reviews in relation to the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) in various Asian jurisdictions.
Representative Experience as Counsel
- Recently represented an Indian business house in an ICC arbitration in Singapore against its European joint venture partner. Indian law governed. Our client secured declaratory relief valued at over USD 200 million and an award of USD 5 million in costs.
- Recently represented one of the world’s largest multinationals as claimant in an HKIAC arbitration in Hong Kong against a publicly-traded Chinese joint venture party in the renewable energy sector. New York law governed. The Tribunal awarded our client over USD 360 million (100% of relief claimed).
- Recently represented ConocoPhillips China in two SIAC arbitrations in Singapore against an independent gas producer and its parent company. The dispute concerned coalbed methane assets in East Asia. The Tribunal awarded our client USD 50 million in damages, interest and costs, and dismissed all counterclaims against it. English law governed.
- Currently representing affiliates of Astro, a Malaysian media group, in two UNCITRAL arbitrations against India under the UK-India BIT and the Mauritius-India BIT.
- Currently defending a production sharing contractor in an ICC arbitration in Paris involving 18 other parties and concerning LNG sales and supply arrangements. New York law governs and hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake.
- Currently representing a nuclear reactor and services provider in an ICC arbitration in an Asian country against a national power company arising out of the construction of a nuclear power plant. More than USD 200 million is at stake.
- Currently representing an Asian construction contractor in disputes with a major equipment supplier in connection with the construction of a power plant in the Middle East.
- Recently represented a power company in a dispute with its contractors arising out of the construction of a coal-fired power plant in the Philippines. The dispute was subject to HKIAC arbitration in Hong Kong. English law governed and approximately USD 25 million was in dispute.
- Recently represented a South-East Asian technical services company in connection with a dispute with a U.S. equipment supplier, involving U.S. bankruptcy claims and subject to court litigation in Georgia, U.S.A.
- Recently defended an Asian construction contractor in an ICC arbitration in London against claims by a US company of misappropriation of confidential information and trade secrets relating to a power plant in the Middle East. English law governed. The case settled before trial.
- Recently advised LNG sellers in multi-billion dollar price review disputes against LNG buyers subject to international arbitration.
- Recently represented a power developer in an UNCITRAL arbitration in Singapore against its insurers in a USD 60 million claim concerning a hydroelectric power project under construction in the Philippines. Philippines law governed. The case settled before trial.
- Recently represented an independent oil company in an UNCITRAL arbitration in Singapore against a national oil company. The dispute concerned a farm-in agreement in respect of offshore petroleum blocks in South East Asia. The opponent’s local law governed. The case settled before trial.
- Represented an Indian company in an SIAC arbitration in Singapore arising out of joint venture and related disputes, in which the Emergency Arbitrator procedure was successfully invoked to obtain urgent interim relief.
- Represented a Korean construction contractor in an ICC arbitration in Seoul in a dispute with a subcontractor concerning a port project. Korean law governed. The client obtained the dismissal of all claims and the award of its costs.
- Represented a Chinese-European joint venture in an SIAC arbitration in Singapore against a European construction contractor concerning delay to completion of an industrial plant in China. English law governed. The case settled before trial.
Selected Professional & Business Activities
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Director, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Singapore branch
- Member of arbitrator panel of KLRCA and reserve panel of SIAC
- Committee member, Young Singapore International Arbitration Centre (YSIAC)
- Member, SIAC Users Council
- Speaker/Panelist, 2016 Taipei International Conference on Arbitration and Mediation, “When Arbitrators Get The Law Wrong: Does International Commercial Arbitration Need an Appeal Mechanism?”, Taipei, August 2016
- Speaker/Panelist, SIAC India Conferences: “Saving Time and Costs in International Arbitration”, Delhi and Mumbai, September 2015
- Speaker/Panelist, CIArb Centenary Conference: “Can more be done to give young practitioners access to the International Arbitration world?”, Singapore, September 2015
- Speaker/Moderator, Inaugural YSIAC Conference, Singapore, June 2015
- Speaker, Ernst & Young General Counsel Leadership Network (GCLN), Gurgaon, India, October 2014
- Speaker, New York Convention Workshop for Judges, organised by Vietnam Ministry of Justice and World Bank/IMF, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, August 2014
- Speaker/Panelist, ICC-YAF Event: “Managing infrastructure partnerships: delay, disagreement and disputes”, Mumbai, India, April 2014
- Co-author, “Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) Arbitration Rules, 2013” in L. Mistelis (ed.), Concise International Arbitration (Second Edition), Kluwer 2015
- Co-author, “Dispute Resolution Options in Asia – Expanding the Menu: Arbitration, Mediation and Singapore’s New International Commercial Court”, King & Spalding Energy Newsletter, November 2015
Selected Professional Accolades
- Recognised for the “impeccable execution” of his work; “very meticulous and easy to deal with” - Chambers Asia Pacific, 2016
- Listed as an expert in Euromoney’s Expert Guide to Commercial Arbitration 2014 and its inaugural Rising Stars Guide 2015
- “Sharp, hardworking and thorough” - Asia-Pacific Legal 500, 2010