Sheryl Kass is a partner in King & Spalding’s Real Estate Practice Group. Ms. Kass’ practice focuses on the representation of institutional, private equity and foreign investors in acquisitions, dispositions and financings of real property in the United States. An area of concentration of Ms. Kass’ practice has been the representation of US and European institutions as mortgage and mezzanine lenders in connection with the origination, participation and restructuring of loans.
Ms. Kass received a Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania in 2003 and received her law degree, with honors, from Emory Law School in 2006. Ms. Kass is a member of the New York State Bar Association and the American Bar Association. In addition, Ms. Kass is a member of CREWNY.
Selected recent transactions include:
- Represented a large financial institution in connection with its origination and syndication of:
- an aggregate of $1.35 billion of mortgage and mezzanine loans to subsidiaries of the largest private equity fund secured by portfolios of hotels and offices;
- a $400 million mortgage loan secured by a portfolio of 32 industrial properties in California, Florida and New Jersey; and
- a $182.5 million mortgage loan to a subsidiary of a top 20 private equity fund secured by an office building in downtown Boston, Massachusetts.
- Represented a subsidiary of a publically-traded REIT in connection with its obtaining a $160 million mortgage loan from Prudential Insurance Company of America secured by an office building in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Represented a newly formed real estate fund in connection with its obtaining a subscription credit facility for up to $100 million from KeyBank National Association.
- Borrower Defaults and Lender Remedies in Commercial Real Estate Loans, by Mason Stephenson and Sheryl Kass, with Practical Law Real Estate, published as an online practice note by Practical Law Company in August 2013.
- Real Estate Finance Part I – The Lender’s Perspective, by Thomas Broschek, Head of Real Estate Finance North America, Landesbank Baden-Württemberg, and Sebastian Kaufmann, Partner at King & Spalding, published in: AFIRE Guide to US Real Estate Investing, expected publication date: October 2009 (provided significant contributions).
- Bankruptcy and Low Income Housing: Where is the Voice of the Tenants? Emory Bankruptcy Developments Journal vol. 22.