Robert Stonebraker is a member of the Business Litigation Practice Group in the Atlanta office of King & Spalding. His practice focuses on insurance coverage and recovery litigation and counseling, as well as a range of other commercial litigation matters, including insurance broker negligence and commercial contract disputes. Mr. Stonebraker has experience representing policyholders seeking coverage on Commercial General Liability, Property & Business Interruption, Directors & Officers Liability, Pollution Liability, Errors & Omissions, Title, Financial Institution, and Employment Practices Liability policies. Most recently, Mr. Stonebraker was part of a trial team that obtained a $9.12 million verdict after a three-week jury trial in federal court on behalf of a policyholder for a large industrial property damage and business interruption loss. The jury verdict included pre-judgment interest and a rare finding of bad faith against the insurance company. (Trade Am International Inc. v. The Cincinnati Ins. Co., Civil Action No. 1:08-cv-03711-ECS.)
Mr. Stonebraker joined King & Spalding in 2008 from practice in Chicago, where he regularly represented general liability insurers in coverage litigation centering on issues such as the duty to defend, contribution, trigger of coverage, number of occurrences, applicable limits in multi-year policies and the pollution exclusion.
At the start of his legal career, Mr. Stonebraker served as a law clerk for the Honorable Ronald L. Gilman of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. He graduated, cum laude, from Northwestern University School of Law, where he was a Senior Manuscript Editor of the Northwestern Law Review and was elected to the Order of the Coif.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Insurance Checklist for Mergers and Acquisitions, Law 360 (December 11, 2012)
- How to Maximize Your Insurance Recovery for Property Damage, Business Interruption, and Supply Chain Losses, Client Alert (November 9, 2012)
- Tips for Managing Emerging Catastrophic Risks and Supply Chain Disruption, Client Alert (June 12, 2012)
- How Do You Protect Your Business When the Sky Really is Falling? Emerging Trends in Property Damage Insurance and Tips for Maximizing Coverage in the Event of Catastrophic Loss, Client Presentation (April 24, 2012)
- Climate Change Liability Moves Forward, Does Your Insurance Cover Your Risk?, Client Alert (February 1, 2010)
- Bracing for Climate Change Exposure, Law360 (February 13, 2009)