Michael Urschel is a partner in King & Spalding’s Global Finance Group and splits his time between the firm’s Atlanta and New York offices. Mr. Urschel is active in King & Spalding’s securitization, capital markets, leveraged finance and specialty finance practices.
Mr. Urschel represents financial institutions, issuers, sponsors, and borrowers in a wide variety of lending and capital markets transactions, with a focus on asset securitization, specialty finance and acquisition financing.
Recent transactions Mr. Urschel has structured and led since 2015 include:
- Representing initial purchasers in over $4.4 billion in whole business securitizations of franchise royalties of brands such as Taco Bell, Arby's, TGI Friday's, Auntie Anne's, Carvel, Cinnabon, McAlister's Deli, Moe's Southwest Grill and Schlotzky's.
- Representing structuring bank in $460 million term and revolving acquisition financing and subsequent whole business securitization of subsidiaries of Driven Brands, Inc., a transaction which won International Financing Review's "North America Structured Finance Issue" of 2015.
- Over $1.2 billion in aggregate cellular tower, distributed antennae and related ground lease securitizations of subsidiaries of American Tower Corporation, InSite Wireless Group and Landmark Infrastructure Partners, representing both initial purchasers and issuers.
- Representing lender in $200 million securitization of intermodal shipping containers.
- Representing structuring bank in securitization of Fairway Outdoor Advertising.
- Multiple specialty leveraged finance facilities, including residual financings, structured device leasing and structured credit facilities for the origination of real-estate lending platforms.
Mr. Urschel holds a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a second major in Mathematics, a J.D. degree and a Masters of Business Administration from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was Articles Editor for the North Carolina Law Review.
He is recognized nationally by Chambers USA and Legal 500 and has been profiled by Asset Backed Alert. Mr. Urschel serves on the Structured Finance Committee of the New York City Bar Association. Mr. Urschel’s work on “Hybrid-Whole Business Securitization” technology was recognized at the 2016 Financial Times North America Innovative Lawyers Awards.
King & Spalding brings together more than 100 finance lawyers located in offices across the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East to represent lenders, investors, funds and borrowers in the full range of secured and unsecured financings. Over the past three years, we closed approximately 600 finance transactions for our clients, amounting to $165 billion in aggregate financing.