Merrick White is a partner in the firm's Singapore office. His practice centers on global oil, gas, LNG, refining and petrochemical project development. In addition to his legal qualifications, he is also a Chartered Chemical Engineer with over 25 years’ wide-ranging experience in the legal, commercial, business development and engineering aspects of the Oil and Gas Industry, with over 20 years in Asia (7 years in Jakarta) successfully developing major gas infrastructure projects and 6 years working in engineering and commercial roles with British Gas Exploration and Production.
Mr. White has been recommended as a leading lawyer in Chambers Global since 2012 for projects work and from 2008 for oil and gas and is ranked in Band 1. In Chambers Asia 2017, sources single him out for his expertise in oil and gas. He has more than two decades of experience advising on farm-out arrangements, LNG sale and purchase agreements and project development. One client stresses: "He is very strong in negotiation and helps me tremendously." In Chambers Global 2016, he is held in high regard for his work across the oil and gas industry. He is particularly lauded for his Indonesian practice, which has recently involved asset acquisitions, farm-ins and offtake arrangements, including complex cross-border swap deals. Recent work also includes acting for the lenders in the financing of a major Central and South Asia pipeline project. Sources note his sophisticated knowledge of “the nuts and bolts of oil and gas deals” and he is noted to have “the technical expertise that produces a high quality work product”. He also wins praise for “providing solutions with a commercial perspective”.
- Oil and Gas - Myanmar Update, 11 May 2012, Client Briefing
- Key Considerations in Energy Take-or-Pay Contracts, 12 April 2013, Law 360
- Prospects for Development of an Asian LNG Trading Hub, 1 February 2014, Energy Law Exchange
- Commingled Oil and Gas - Why allocation matters, 13 May 2014, Energy Law Exchange
- Natural Gas Imports into China - Prospects for Growth, September 2014, Energy Law Exchange
- Drilling Contracts - Avoiding Misunderstanding, February 2015, Energy Law Exchange