Mario Leissner is Managing Partner and founder of King & Spalding’s German office in Frankfurt am Main, a partner in the firm’s Capital Transactions & Real Estate Practice Group, and a member of King & Spalding’s International Strategy Committee. With 20 years of experience, Mr. Leissner specializes in fund structuring, regulatory and investment law, and international and German real estate transactions. His award-winning practice also involves corporate and financing work as well as litigation and international taxation.
Over the last years, Mr. Leissner constantly has been recognized by Chambers, Legal 500, JUVE, and other business law publications as a leader in both the fields of investment law and real estate law. Handelsblatt, Best Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal list him among Germany’s best lawyers for Real Estate. immobilienmanager named him, as one of only four lawyers, to its "Walk of Fame", the list of the 100 leading and most influential "heads" of the German real estate industry.
Mr. Leissner represents:
- major investment fund managers (AIFM), capital investment companies (KVG), open-ended and closed-ended investment funds (AIF), asset managers, institutional real estate investors, and custodians in their legal, regulatory and tax structuring and in all aspects of their worldwide acquisitions, financings and sales;
- non-German/non-European investors in their inbound investments in German/European real estate.
Before founding King & Spalding's German office in 2007, and after the first years of his legal career in another law firm, Mr. Leissner served as General Counsel, Head of Legal and Tax, and Speaker of the Senior Executives, of the market-leading German institutional real estate investment fund sponsor, Sal. Oppenheim Immobilien-Kapitalanlagegesellschaft mbH (OIK), for over seven years.
Mr. Leissner has conducted more than one thousand transactions worldwide with an aggregate value in excess of US$ 60 billion.
Publications / Lecturer Engagements
- Co-Author “Rechtshandbuch Immobilien-Investitionen” (C.H. Beck)
- Co-Author “Business Laws of Germany” (West/Thomson Reuters)
- Co-Author and Strategic Partner “Deutscher AnwaltSpiegel” (F.A.Z.-Institut)
- Lecturer for Management Circle AG
- Lecturer for Euroforum Deutschland GmbH
- Lecturer for Chambers of Commerce and Chambers of Trade
- Frequently speaks to industry groups on regulatory, fund and real estate law as well as on transaction matters