Kyle Sheahen is an associate in the Special Matters/Government Investigations Practice Group in King & Spalding’s New York office. Mr. Sheahen’s practice focuses on white collar criminal defense litigation, federal and state government investigations, corporate internal investigations, and advice concerning corporate compliance programs. Mr. Sheahen’s experience includes investigations by the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the New York State Department of Financial Services, the New York County District Attorney’s Office, the United States Senate, the Federal Reserve, and the Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority. Mr. Sheahen has advised clients in the United States and abroad, including jurisdictions in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia.
Mr. Sheahen serves as the Vice-Chair of the firm’s New York Associates Committee and is a regular contributor to the firm’s Data, Privacy & Security Practice Report, a weekly publication devoted to legal issues relating to privacy and cybersecurity.
Mr. Sheahen earned his law degree from the University of California, Los Angeles. During law school, Mr. Sheahen was a managing editor for the UCLA Journal of International Law and Foreign Affairs. Mr. Sheahen also served as a law clerk for the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary (Subcommittee on the Constitution) in Washington, DC.
Mr. Sheahen received his undergraduate degree from Cornell University, where he was awarded the Frederick George Marcham Scholarship for history.
- Defending an international financial institution from enforcement actions based on conspiracy to commit tax fraud and securities violations brought by the Justice Department, the SEC, the Federal Reserve, and the New York State Department of Financial Services, and a related congressional inquiry by the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations; representing same company in connection with post-resolution undertakings, including the New York State Department of Financial Services-appointed monitorship.
- Performing internal compliance reviews and anticorruption analysis for a global insurance broker.
- Providing analysis and advice to an international oil and gas company on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance issues related to overseas projects.
- Representing the CEO of a Fortune 500 company in connection with an insurance investigation by the New York County District Attorney’s Office.
- Preparing a financial firm’s response to subpoenas served by the Justice Department Tax Division.
- Counseling a Fortune 500 financial services company on its incident response plan following a data security breach.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- An App A Day: Navigating Health App Regulatory Guidance, Law360 (May 2016)
- The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority and The Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (white papers), King & Spalding Cybersecurity & Privacy Summit (April 2016)
- Speaker, Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council Cyber Security Assessment Tool for Financial Institutions: What You Need to Know in 2016 and Beyond, The Knowledge Group Webcast (January 2016)
- Crude Allegations: Corruption in the Energy Trading Sector, King & Spalding Energy Newsletter (February 2014)
- International Criminal Discovery, The Federalist Society’s Engage Journal (February 2013)
- I’m Not Going to Disneyland: Illusory Affirmative Defenses Under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, 28 Wis. Int’l L.J. 464 (2010)