Ken Culotta is a partner in the Houston office of King & Spalding and a founding member of the firm’s London affiliate, King & Spalding International LLP. He is Practice Group Leader of the firm’s Global Transactions Practice Group.
For over 25 years, Mr. Culotta has represented a broad spectrum of energy and natural resource industry clients, including oil and gas producers, transport and storage providers, power, LNG, CAES and CNG concerns, petrochemical manufacturers, energy marketers, service companies and mining companies, and private equity funds and other investors in these sectors. His practice focus includes cross-border transactions, and the unique public and private law issues involved in structuring, documenting and negotiating these transactions.
His work experience includes investment, financing and monetization transactions, including M&A and project finance, as well as the nuts-and-bolts commercial agreements that energy businesses rely upon for site acquisitions revenue generation, hedging of financial exposure, raw materials and feedstock inputs, and construction and operation of facilities.
Mr. Culotta received his B.A. from The University of Texas in 1979, and his J.D. at The University of Texas School of Law in 1985. Mr. Culotta also did graduate work in Comparative Literature at the University of Texas (1979-1980) and attended the Albert Ludwigs-Universität in Freiburg, Germany as a DAAD Fellow (1980-1981). He is fluent in Spanish and German. He has also completed The University of Houston Advanced Arbitration course.
- Kenneth S. Culotta, U.S. LNG Export Projects: Regulatory Outlook and Contracting Mechanisms, 8 Tex. J. Oil Gas & Energy L. (forthcoming Fall 2012) (co-authored with Matt Salo and Monica Hwang)
- Kenneth S. Culotta, The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Gas Regulation – A practical cross-border insight into Gas Regulation work, Global Legal Group, Ltd., Winter 2011 (Ken Culotta with Michael Loewenstein)
- King & Spalding Client Alert: Dodd-Frank’s Sweeping Disclosure Provision Targets Oil, Gas, and Mining Companies, 2011 (Ken Culotta and Jeff Perry)
- King & Spalding Client Alert: Dodd-Frank’s “Conflict Minerals” Provision: Expected to Impact Nearly Half of All U.S. Public Companies (Ken Culotta and Jeff Perry)
- King & Spalding Energy Newsletter: United States to Become First G8 Nation to Fully Implement the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (Kenneth S. Culotta, Jeffrey H. Perry - September 21, 2011)
- Kenneth S. Culotta, co-editor with Archie Fallon; OGEL special issue on “Resource Development and Indigenous People - A Rapidly Changing Legal Landscape” (2011)
- Kenneth S. Culotta, co-editor with Archie Fallon; OGEL special issue on "Resource Development and Indigenous People" (2010)
- Kenneth S. Culotta & Monica Hwang, Legal Challenges in Developing Shale Gas Assets in Western and Central Europe (2010)
- Kenneth S. Culotta, The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Gas Regulation – A practical cross-border insight into Gas Regulation work, Global Legal Group, Ltd., Winter 2010.
- Kenneth S. Culotta, The LNG Market in Flux: A US Perspective, LAW360, November 7, 2008.
- Kenneth S. Culotta & Monica Hwang, FERC Lifts Short-Term Capacity Release Rate Ceiling and Provides Safe Harbor for Asset Management Arrangements, King & Spalding Client Alert, July 15, 2008.
- Kenneth S. Culotta, Social License to Operate and Indigenous Peoples: Whither The Nation State, Mining Law, IBA Section on Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law, May 2008.
- Kenneth S. Culotta & Monica Hwang, Uncertain LNG Price Environment Turns Focus on Price Revision Clauses, LNG Journal, April 2008.
- Kenneth S. Culotta & John P. Crespo, Mexican Methane, Energy Magazine, Winter 2007.
- Kenneth S. Culotta & John P. Crespo, Mexico’s Latest Step Towards Energy Liberalization, Energy Law 360, Portfolio Media, Inc., March 13, 2007.
- Kenneth S. Culotta & James E. Goddard, Mitigating Volatility or Inviting Market Power? FERC Lowers the Bar, Public Utilities Fortnightly, September 2006.
- Recipe for a Tex-Mex Pipeline Project: Considerations in Permitting a Cross-Border Gas Transportation Project, Tex. Int’l L.J. 287, 2003-2004.
Speaking and Teaching Engagements
- 11th Annual Gas and Power Institute, Houston, Texas, August 23–24, 2012: Presentation on U.S. LNG Export Projects: Regulatory Outlook and Contracting Mechanisms
- 58th Annual Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute, Co-Chairman, Oil and Gas Section, Newport Beach, California, July 19-21, 2012
- Infocast’s Annual Storage Week, San Diego, California, July 25-28, 2012: Chairman of Energy Storage Summit
- Case for CAES Webinar Presentation, March 2011: Primer on Compressed Air Energy Storage
- Presentation at Gas Industries Europe Annual Conference, Edinburgh, Scotland, June 24, 2011: “Bulk Energy Storage in the USA: a Primer”
- Infocast’s Annual Storage Week, San Diego, California, July 11-14, 2011: Chairman of Energy Storage Summit
- Infocast’s Annual Gas Storage Summit, Houston, Texas, October 24-25, 2011: Chairman and Panel Moderator
- Presentation at PSC Roundtable Dubai, October 5-6, 2011, “Shale Gas and its Impact on the Middle East”
- Moderator Roundtable Discussion, PSC Roundtable, Dubai, October 6, 2011: Issues In International Gas Exploration & Production - Legal Perspectives
- Presentation at K&S Riyadh office, October 8, 2011, “Shale Gas and its Impact on the Middle East”
- Infocast’s Gas Storage, Finance, Investment & Strategy Summit, Chairman, Moderator, etc., Houston, Texas, October 19-20, 2010
- Infocast’s Storage Week, Chairman, San Diego, California, July 12-15, 2010
- IEL-ANADE International Conference on Exploration and Production of Oil and Gas in Mexico: The New Contractual Regime, Mexico City, Mexico, April 14, 2010
- 55th Annual Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute, “Staying Alive in a Global Cash Crisis and the Impacts on Development Project, San Francisco,” California, July 23-25, 2009
- Infocast’s Storage Week, Chairman of Energy Storage Summit, San Diego, California, July 13-16, 2009
- CAIL Symposium -- “Capital Raising in the Current Market, Including Sovereign Wealth Fund Investments - Who is Raising Money Today, How and From Whom?, Dallas, Texas, June 15-16, 2009
- 2009 AIPN Spring Conference Organizing Committee
- Infocast’s Power Storage Projects & Enabling Technologies Summit, Chairman of Energy Storage Summit, San Diego, California, July 14-16, 2008
- CWC LNG 2008 San Antonio Conference, “The Second Wave of LNG Terminals: What Will it Take to Succeed?” (presenter) San Antonio, April 21-23, 2008
- Infocast’s Midstream Gas Asset Acquisition & Divestiture Summit, “Private Equity’s Perspectives on the Midstream Gas Asset A&D Market” (panel moderator), Houston, Texas, February 25-27, 2008
- CWC Eighth Annual World LNG Summit, Rome, December 3-6, 2007
- Infocast’s Gas Storage Finance & Investment Summit, “The Impact of the Project Finance Market on Project Development Strategies,” (panel moderator) Houston, Texas, October 22-24, 2007
- CWC LNG 2007 San Antonio Conference, San Antonio, March 7-9, 2007
- AIPN Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Annual Short Course “International Energy Law, Contracts and Negotiations - Purchase and Sale Agreements,” (co-lecturer) Houston, Texas, October 6, 2006
- LNG Conference “Key Considerations for LNG Export: Developers and Recent Developments in LNG Sale and Purchase Agreements,” (presenter) Tower of London, London, England, May 4, 2006
- CWC LNG 2006 San Antonio Conference and Executive Briefings, “Current Regulatory Issues in LNG Terminal and Gas Storage Development,” (presenter) San Antonio, Texas, March 16, 2006
- Oil & Gas IQ Conference, Advanced Contract Risk Management for the LNG Supply Chain, “Multi-user LNG Terminal Services Agreements: Issues and Trends,” (presenter) Houston, Texas, January 30 - 31, 2006
- Conference Connections Singapore Conference, “Upstream Government Petroleum Contracts - Legal and Commercial Terms,” (course lecturer) Singapore, September 12-13, 2005. Also presented this comprehensive two day course previously in Singapore, Houston and Bahrain