Jennifer Josefson is a partner in the firm's Global Transactions Practice Group and was one of the founding partners of our Moscow office. Her practice focuses on international transactions in Russia, the former Soviet Union, the Middle East and Africa.
For almost 20 years she has represented a broad spectrum of clients on various international and cross-border transactions, with a particular specialization on transactions in the oil, gas, LNG, petrochemical, power, mining and natural resource sectors. She regularly advises clients of acquisitions and dispositions, mergers, joint ventures, joint operating agreements (JOAs), concessions, PSAs, farm-ins, supply and service agreements and the commercial agreements that energy companies regularly use for revenue generation, raw materials and feedstock inputs, financing, and maintenance and operation of facilities.
Ms. Josefson has been consistently ranked as one of the top energy and natural resource lawyers by Chambers Global, PLC Which Lawyer, and the Who's Who of International Energy Lawyers.
- She is ranked as a Tier 1 Energy lawyer by both Chambers Global and Chambers Europe.
- Best Lawyers 2014, 2015 and 2016 named Ms. Josefson “The Lawyer of the Year for Russia” in Energy and Natural Resources; Mining; and Oil & Gas (respectively) in addition to recognizing her for M&A.
Chambers Global 2015 quotes her clients as saying that she “is precise and offers creative solutions,” as well as being “one of the best lawyers in Moscow in her sphere of expertise and a true pleasure to work with.”
In addition to being a trusted advisor and supporting clients on their transactions, Ms. Josefson contributes to the development of international oil & gas contracting standards through her work with the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN). Currently she is a co-Chair for AIPN's Model Farm Out Agreement Revision Committee and she has held over the years various other positions in the AIPN, including Vice President, member of the board of directors and founding Regional Director of AIPN's CIS Chapter. Ms. Josefson is also a standing faculty member for AIPN’s and the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation’s international oil & gas contracting training courses – the Short Course and the Core Course.
- “Russian Electric Vehicle Stimulus: The Age-Old Question: What Comes First – the Chicken or the Egg?” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, November 2016 (co-author)
- “Extension of Russia / Ukraine Related Sanctions Sanctioned Entity – Glavgosekspertiza – Russian federal institution for official state examinations of project documentation” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, October 2016 (co-author)
- “Renewable Energy In Russia: Recent Developments” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, April 2016 (co-author)
- “Uncovering Hidden Value - Unconventional Resources” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, March 2016 (co-author)
- “Renewable / Alternative Energy – Asia, Europe, Latin America, Middle East, U.S., and Canada; Regional Perspectives on the Paris Agreement on Climate Change” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, February 2016 (co-author)
- “The Paris Agreement: Russia's perspective” in Euromoney’s Expert Guides, January 2016 (co-author)
- “Infrastructure, Energy and Land: Russia’s renewed focus on the development of the Russian Far East” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, December 2015 (co-author)
- “Iran’s Upstream Oil and Gas Sector: An Update on Sanctions, Nuclear Talks and the New Petroleum Contract” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, February 2015 (co-author)
- “Russia: Environmental Liability for Off-Shore Oil and Gas Operations” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, February 2015 (co-author)
- “Electricity Regulation in the Russian Federation: An Overview” in Practical Law Global, June 2014 (co-author)
- “New Model for Partnership on the Russian Shelf”, The Oil, Gas and Law Journal (PravoTEK), (February 2014) (co-author)
- “Russian LNG: Export Liberalization” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, February 2014 (co-author)
- “Unconventionals in Russia: Legal Aspects”, Oil & Gas Eurasia, November 2013 (co-author)
- “Risk Service Structures Become a Little Less Risky for Russian Offshore Operations” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, November 2013 (co-author)
- “Unconventional Russia” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, April 2013 (co-author)
- “2012 AIPN Model International Joint Operating Agreement – A New Industry Standard?” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, May 2012
- “Model AIPN agreements: International practice and possibility of adaptation for Russia” in PravoTEK’s Oil, Gas and Law Journal, 1 February 2012 (co-author)
- “Russia: Expanding Opportunities for Foreign Investment in Major Oil and Gas Deposits” in The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, 1 January 2011 (co-author)
- “Foreign Investment in Russian Oil and Gas: Will 2008 Bring New Restrictions?” in the Q1 2008 issue of Bloomberg Law Review and in World Finance Review, October 2008 (co-author)
- “Policy Challenges: Russian Perspective” in Energy Futures, edited by Ralf Boscheck, Palgrave Macmillan, 2006
- “The new joint venture and the subsoil law,” Neftegaz, September 2002 (in Russian)
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN); co-Chair for the AIPN Model Farm Out Agreement Revision Committee 2012-2016; Vice-president, 2010-2012; Board of Directors 2004-2008; CIS Regional Director 2005-2008; Co-chair of the AIPN International Conference, Moscow, Russia, 2005