Jennifer Josefson is a partner in King & Spalding’s Global Transactions Practice Group. She specializes in Russian and international transactions in the oil & gas, power, metals and mining and natural resources sectors, regularly advising clients on M&A and joint venture arrangements, joint operating agreements (JOAs), concessions, PSAs, farm-ins, supply and service agreements and international arbitration in the subsoil and energy sectors.
Based in Moscow for over 10 years and regularly travelling between the firm’s Middle Eastern offices, Ms. Josefson is uniquely positioned and easily accessible to her clients working projects in Russia/CIS, the Middle East and Africa.
She is ranked as one of the top energy and natural resource lawyers by Chambers Global, PLC Which Lawyer, and the Who's Who of International Oil and Gas Lawyers. Best Lawyers 2014 – Russia named Ms. Josefson 2014 Lawyer of the Year for Energy and Natural Resources, in addition to recognizing her for M&A, oil & gas and metals and mining. Chambers Global 2013 says that Ms. Josefson “is one of the best-known energy lawyers in the market. Her technical excellence is widely commented on, and clients also commend her thorough understanding of the oil and gas sector.” Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2014 ranks Ms. Josefson as a Tier 1 Energy lawyer.
Ms. Josefson is currently a co-Chair for the AIPN Model Farm Out Agreement Revision Committee, having held various positions in the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN), including Vice President , member of the board of directors and founding Regional Director of AIPN's CIS Chapter, from 2005 to 2008. Ms. Josefson is also a regular faculty member for the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation’s international oil & gas contracting Short Course and Core Courses.
- "New Model for Partnership on the Russian Shelf", The Oil, Gas and Law Journal (PravoTEK), (February 2014) (co-author)
- "Russian LNG: Export Liberalization" in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, February 2014 (co-author)
- "Unconventionals in Russia: Legal Aspects", Oil & Gas Eurasia, November 2013 (co-author)
- “Risk Service Structures Become a Little Less Risky for Russian Offshore Operations” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, November 2013 (co-author)
- “Unconventional Russia” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, April 2013 (co-author)
- “2012 AIPN Model International Joint Operating Agreement – A New Industry Standard?” in King & Spalding’s Energy Newsletter, May 2012
- “Model AIPN agreements: International practice and possibility of adaptation for Russia” in PravoTEK’s Oil, Gas and Law Journal, 1 February 2012 (co-author)
- “Russia: Expanding Opportunities for Foreign Investment in Major Oil and Gas Deposits” in The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, 1 January 2011 (co-author)
- “Foreign Investment in Russian Oil and Gas: Will 2008 Bring New Restrictions?” in the Q1 2008 issue of Bloomberg Law Review and in World Finance Review, October 2008 (co-author)
- “Policy Challenges: Russian Perspective” in Energy Futures, edited by Ralf Boscheck, Palgrave Macmillan, 2006
- “The new joint venture and the subsoil law,” Neftegaz, September 2002 (in Russian)
- “Year 2001 Changes to the Taxation of Corporations Under the Russian Tax Code,” International Business Lawyer, Vol. 31, January 2002
- “Knowing How: Protection of Foreign Investor's Intellectual Property in the Russian Federation,” Texas Transnational Law Quarterly, Vol. 15, April 2001, No. 2
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN); co-Chair for the AIPN Model Farm Out Agreement Revision Committee 2012-2014; Vice-president, 2010-2012; Board of Directors 2004-2008; CIS Regional Director 2005-2008; Co-chair of the AIPN International Conference, Moscow, Russia, 2005