Jeffrey M. Telep is a partner in King & Spalding’s International Trade Group. He joined the firm in 1997 and is resident in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office.
Mr. Telep has over 20 year’s experience litigating high-profile international trade remedy disputes, including unfair trade practice investigations under Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930; antidumping and countervailing duty investigations and reviews under the Tariff Act; Customs fraud investigations, seizures and forfeitures; and other commercial disputes. Mr. Telep also advises the firm’s clients on international trade regulatory matters, including Customs, economic sanctions, anti-money laundering, and Foreign Trade Zone issues.
Mr. Telep has published numerous articles and book chapters on international trade. He also regularly speaks to industry groups, judicial conferences, bar conferences, and academic conferences on international trade issues.
Before joining King & Spalding, Mr. Telep spent six years as a trial attorney with the Civil Division of the United States Department of Justice. During his tenure with the Justice Department, Mr. Telep was lead counsel for the United States in more than 75 cases involving the regulation of international trade, including antidumping and countervailing duties cases, Customs fraud prosecutions, and trade embargo enforcement actions.
Advisory Boards, Councils, And Committees
- Law360 Editorial Advisory Board for Intellectual Property, 2012-13.
- Executive Committee, International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association, 2013.
- United States Court Of International Trade Rules Advisory Committee, appointed by the Chief Judge to two consecutive five-year terms beginning in 2008.
- Advisory Board Member, International Trade Update Continuing Legal Education Seminar, Georgetown University Law Center, Washington D.C., 2006-13.
Speeches And Presentations
- Managing Intellectual Property Conference on IP In China: Growth & Opportunities For U.S. Companies, Litigating In China, Panelist, New York, New York, April 30, 2013.
- American Bar Association, International Law Section Spring meeting, A Close Look at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the U.S. Court of International Trade: Recent Developments, Trends, And Keys To Effective Advocacy, Panelist, Washington, D.C. April 26, 2013.
- American Conference Institute Conference on Section 337 Litigation And Enforcement, In-House Views On ITC Litigation: Addressing The Effectiveness Of The ITC As A Tool For Asserting And Defending Intellectual Property Rights, Panel Moderator, Washington, D.C., February 26, 2013.
- Bar Association Of the District Of Columbia, Patent, Trademark & Copyright Section, Section 337 And E-Discovery, Panelist, Washington, D.C., February 6, 2013.
- United States Court of International Trade 17th Judicial Conference, CIT Litigation With An Eye Outward: Same Issues, Different Fora, Panel Moderator, New York, NY, December 3, 2012.
- Fifth Annual King & Spalding Pharmaceutical University, International Trading Issues That Keep You Up At Night - And Not Just Because You Get A Call About Supply Chain Or IP Problems In Asia, Panelist, Philadelphia, PA, November 27, 2012.
- Making It Here 2012: Manufacturing Our Energy Future, Solar Policy: What’s Next, Panelist, Cleveland, OH, June 12, 2012.
- King & Spalding Energy Forum, International Trade Conflicts: Renewable Energy Today And Trends For Tomorrow, Panelist, Houston, TX, April 11, 2012.
- American Bar Association International Law Section, Live At The ITC—Forum on Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930, Commissioner’s Panel Moderator, Washington, D.C., January 19, 2012.
- Fourth Annual King & Spalding Pharmaceutical University, Addressing The Threat From Without: Trade Remedy Defenses Against Anticompetitive Imports, Panelist, Philadelphia, PA, November 29, 2011.
- Georgetown University International Trade Update, Customs And Intellectual Property Enforcement Or Non-Enforcement, Panelist, Washington, D.C., March 4, 2011.
- American Bar Association International Law Section, Live At The ITC—Forum on Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930, The Public Interest: Where Are We Now, Panelist, January 19, 2011.
- Third Annual King & Spalding Pharmaceutical University, Protecting The Global Supply Chain: Infringement, Counterfeiting, And WTO Concerns, Panelist, Philadelphia, PA, November 2010.
- United States Court Of International Trade, 16th Judicial Conference, The CIT In The Middle - Intersection With The Agencies, The Federal Circuit And International Tribunals, Panelist, New York, NY, November 2010.
- American Bar Association Section On International Law, Who Polices The Trade Remedies Bar’s Ethics, And How?, Panelist, Washington, D.C. March 2010.
- Georgetown University International Trade Update, Enforcement Of AD/CVD Duty Collection, Panelist, Washington, D.C., February 2010.
- American Conference Institute Advanced Forum On ITC Litigation, Operating In The Eye Of The Storm; Effective Strategies For Litigating An ITC Action, Panelist, Washington, D.C., January 2009.
- United States Court of International Trade biennial Bench and Bar Conference, Moderator, Washington, D.C., 2008.
- Georgetown University International Trade Update, Non-Market Economy Cases: Hot Topics for 2007, Panelist, Washington D.C., 2007.
- Georgetown University International Trade Update, Framing and Litigating Antidumping And Countervailing Duty Cases Before The U.S. Court Of International Trade, Panelist, Washington D.C., 2004, 2005 and 2006.
- United States Court of International Trade 13th Judicial Conference, Enter The Liquidators: Latest Developments In Injunctions And The Consequences Of Unauthorized Liquidations In The CIT, Panelist, New York, NY, 2004.
- United States Court of International Trade 10th Judicial Conference, Procedural Practice In Antidumping And Countervailing Duty Litigation: New Practitioner’s Workshop, Panelist, New York, NY 1997.
Articles and Books
- Jeffrey M. Telep, et al., CBP’s Expanded Role In Enforcing ITC Exclusion Orders, Law360, April 17, 2013.
- Jeffrey M. Telep and Taryn K. Williams, A Surge In Trade Secret Misappropriation Cases At The ITC, Law360, February 1, 2013.
- Jeffrey M. Telep and Jane Y. Cohen, FinCEN Publishes Final Rule And Interpretive Guidance Clarifying The Scope Of SAR’s Confidentiality Provisions, The Banking Law Journal, Vol. 128, No. 3 (March 2011).
- Joseph W. Dorn, Jeffrey M. Telep, Settlements in the United States Court of International Trade: Practices and Policies, Tulane Journal Of International And Comparative Law, Vol. 19, Issue 2, May 2011 (co-author).
- Jeffrey M. Telep, Chapter 106: Practice At The International Trade Commission, Intellectual Property Counseling and Litigation(Matthew Bender 2010) (co-author).
- Jeffrey M. Telep, Five Years after the Patriot Act: An Update on FinCEN’s Regulatory and Enforcement Activities, The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, October 2006.
- Jeffrey M. Telep, Injunctions against Liquidation in Trade Remedy Cases: A Petitioner’s Perspective, The John Marshall Law Review, Fall 2005.
- Jeffrey M. Telep, The USA Patriot Act and Its Effect on Foreign Investors in U.S. Real Estate, The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, October 2005.
- Michael M. Mabile & Jeffrey M. Telep, Emerging Customs Issues In Antidumping and Countervailing Duty Cases, The International Lawyer, Spring 2004.