Jeff Perry is an attorney with King & Spalding’s Business Litigation group. His practice focus includes advising top-tier domestic and international clients in regulatory and litigation matters. Mr. Perry also serves as editor of the Energy Newsletter, a much relied upon, firm-generated client resource.
Mr. Perry retains expert knowledge of the SEC’s specialized disclosure provisions covering conflict minerals. He possesses strong familiarity with: (i) a wide range of federal energy, environmental, and natural resources laws, including the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the Mineral Leasing Act of 1920, and the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act (OCSLA); (ii) federal administrative law and procedure, FOIA regulations, and federal government contracting provisions, and (iii) construction law and related litigation.
Some of his significant representations include (i) representing a major oil and gas producer in litigation seeking to halt offshore exploration and production following the Gulf of Mexico oil spill; (ii) counseling in-house counsel and senior executives of many publicly-traded companies concerning emerging corporate governance and regulatory compliance issues; (iii) representing oil and gas clients in upstream royalty disputes; and (iv) defending (and prosecuting) FOIA requests on the behalf of leading pharmaceutical, medical device, and energy companies.
Mr. Perry also successfully represented, pro bono, a paralyzed Iraqi military interpreter seeking U.S. asylum in a complex case that garnered national media attention.
He holds a B.S. degree in Natural Resources from Sewanee: The University of the South and earned his J.D. from Mercer University.
- Invited Speaker: Conflict Minerals Implementation: Critical Considerations from Practical Experience, Aerospace Industries Association Conflict Minerals Working Group, August 6, 2013.
- Co-Leader: SEC’s Conflict Minerals Regulations: Expert Perspectives From Practical Experience (So Far), Bloomberg BNA, February 26, 2013.
- Presenter: “Ten Issues Facing Energy and Natural Resources Industries in 2013”, BB&T University, February 21, 2013.
- Faculty: The Conflict Minerals Rule and the Wide Net It Casts: How to Comply, The SEC Institute: 28th Annual SEC Reporting and FASB Forum, December 2012.
- Panelist: Conflict minerals provision of the Dodd-Frank Act; Debrief of the SEC’s final rules, KPMG Perspectives Conference, November 28, 2012.
- Panelist: SEC's Final Ruling on the Conflict Minerals Provision of Dodd-Frank, Joint KPMG and King & Spalding seminar, September 5, 2012.
- Jeffrey H. Perry & Charles J. Engel, III, As Coal Exports Hit Record Highs, Interior Inspector General Questions Lease Valuations, King & Spalding Energy Newsletter, July 1, 2013.
- Jeffrey H. Perry, Keith Townsend, & Matt Bozzelli, SEC Provides FAQs on Conflict Minerals Rules, King & Spalding Public Company Advisor, June 3, 2013.
- Jeffrey H. Perry, Deep Seabed Mining: The Next Wave – U.S. Deep Seabed Mining Regulatory Regime, King & Spalding Energy Newsletter, April 1, 2013.
- Jeffrey H. Perry, European Commission Issues Consultation for Views on Potential EU Conflict Minerals Initiative, Canada Floats “Conflict Minerals Ac, King & Spalding Energy Newsletter, April 1, 2013.
- Jeffrey H. Perry, A Decade’s Worth of Coal Sales to be Scrutinized by Interior, Senate, King & Spalding Energy Newsletter, March 1, 2013.
- Jeffrey H. Perry, Deep Seabed Mining Emerges from the Depths, King & Spalding Energy Newsletter, December 1, 2012.
- Jeffrey H. Perry, Harold M. Shaw, FTC’s New Green Guides For Making Environmental Claims, King & Spalding Client Alert, October 5, 2012.
- Jeffrey H. Perry & Kenneth S. Culotta, United States to become first G8 nation to fully implement the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative: international efforts to alter OGM royalty regimes gain steam, Lexology, October 3, 2011.
- Jeffrey H. Perry & Charles J. Engel, III, ONRR seeks to employ Dodd-Frank's oil, gas, and minerals payment disclosure provision to "cross-check" royalty, rent, and bonus payments, Lexology, September 1, 2011.
- Jeffrey H. Perry, Extractive Industries, International Transparency, and Royalty Management Efforts, Lexology, August 1, 2011.
- Jeffrey H. Perry, Kenneth S. Culotta, & Charles J. Engel, III, Dodd-Frank’s Sweeping Disclosure Provision Targets Oil, Gas, and Mining Companies: Public Companies Must Disclose Payments to the U.S. and Foreign Governments, Lexology, May 19, 2011.
- Jeffrey H. Perry, Kenneth S. Culotta, & Charles J. Engel, III, Dodd-Frank’s Conflict Minerals Provision: Expected to Impact Nearly Half of All U.S. Companies, Lexology, April 27, 2011.
- Jeffrey H. Perry & Katherine L. Rhyne, Gulf Drilling Permits: A Saga in 3 Acts, Environmental Law 360, Portfolio Media, Inc., April 21, 2011.
- Jeffrey H. Perry & John W. Hinchey, A Perspective From The United States: Tensions Between “Getting It Done” and “Getting It Right,” Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice, April 2008.
- Derek Hawkins, Post-Gadhafi Libya Could Test EU Disclosure Rules, Energy Law 360, Portfolio Media Inc., October 31, 2011.