James Stull is a partner with King & Spalding based in the firm’s Dubai and Riyadh offices. Mr. Stull represents Middle East and international sponsors in the structuring and formation of a range of Shari’ah-compliant and conventional investment funds, including private equity funds, venture capital funds, real estate funds, hedge funds and debt funds. He advises clients on securities laws and the corporate and regulatory aspects of structuring, establishing and liquidating various fund structures. He also has extensive experience representing institutional investors in their investments in private funds.
He has represented and advised clients on structuring, investment, acquisition and exit strategies in the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. In particular, he regularly advises clients seeking to raise money or deploy capital in the United States, the various GCC jurisdictions and the wider MENA region. Mr. Stull has advised clients in the structuring and establishment of asset management and advisory businesses and the formation of carried interest plans and management arrangements among fund principals. Mr. Stull also has substantial experience in cross border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, financings, restructurings and general corporate and securities matters.
Mr. Stull has practiced for 10 years, primarily in New York and the Middle East. Mr. Stull graduated and received his law degree in 2006 from Vanderbilt University Law School. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Stull graduated, cum laude, in 2003 from Vanderbilt University. Mr. Stull is admitted to practice in Georgia and the District of Columbia.
- “Saudi Arabia,” The Asset Management Review, 4th Edition, October 2015 (Nabil Issa, co-author).
- “United Arab Emirates,” The Asset Management Review, 4th Edition, October 2015 (Macky O’Sullivan, co-author).
- “Saudi Arabia,” The Asset Management Review, 3rd Edition, November 2014 (Nabil Issa, co-author).
- “Saudi Arabia: An Economy on the Up,” Islamic Finance News, Volume 11, Issue 40, 8 October 2014 (Nabil Issa, co-author).
- “Appropriate Compliance Procedures in Unpredictable and Opaque Middle East Jurisdictions,” Risk & Compliance Magazine, Issue 8, October 2014.
- “Mideast Managers Cast Wider Net in US,” Zawya MENA Private Equity Insight, 16 June 2014.
- “Saudi Arabia: Steady Growth amidst New Regulations,” The Islamic Finance Handbook: A Practitioner’s Guide to the Global Markets, Publisher: John Wiley & Sons Singapore Pte. Ltd., May 2014 (Nabil Issa, co-author).
- “Saudi Arabia,” The Asset Management Review, 2nd Edition, October 2013 (Nabil Issa, co-author).
- “Overhauling Saudi Arabia’s Fund Rules,” Funds Global MENA, Autumn 2013 (Nabil Issa and Phillip Sacks, co-authors).
- “Amendments to the SCA Regulations in the UAE,” Measure, Volume 3, Issue 6. Summer 2013 (Phillip Sacks, co-author).
- “Locally Domiciled Funds in the GCC,” Measure, Volume 3, Issue 5, Winter 2013 (Phillip Sacks, co-author).
- “Gulf Overhauls Fund Regulations to Attract Investors,” Zawya MENA Private Equity Insight, 25 February 2013 (Nabil Issa and Phillip Sacks, co-authors).
- “Structuring Shari’ah-compliant Funds to Target GCC Capital” Measure, Volume 1, Issue 3, Autumn 2010 (Nabil Issa, co-author).
- “International Legal Developments in Review: 2009, Middle East Update” The International Lawyer, Vol. 44, No. 1, Spring 2010 (co-author).
- “Structuring Shari’ah-compliant Funds,” Islamic Finance News, Leading Lawyers Report 2009, 1 August 2009 (Nabil Issa, co-author).
Speeches & Presentations
- “The New Environment for Shariah Compliant Investment in Saudi Arabia,” IFN Forum, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, 30 November 2015 (moderator).
- “Key Developments Impacting Investment Funds Investing into KSA,” The Dubai Working Group of the Association of the Luxembourg Fund Industry Roundtable, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 27 May 2015 (panelist).
- “Innovative Investment Structures in the GCC,” MENA Private Equity Association Roundtable, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 12 March 2015 (panelist).
- “Saudi Arabian CMA Funds and Financings,” IFN Forum, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 17 November 2014 (panelist).
- “DIFC Special Purpose Companies: Legal Regime, Role of the Corporate Service Provider and Tax Implications,” Dubai International Financial Centre Seminar, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 19 June 2014 (panelist).
- “Investment Funds in the Middle East: Trends, Regulatory Changes and Structuring,” Advent Connect, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 20 November 2013.
- “Doing Business in Saudi Arabia,” Arab Bankers Association of North America and Boston Bar Association Panel, Boston, Massachusetts, 11 October 2012.
- Funds: Administration and Legal Aspects,” Intertrust Training Session, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 15 January 2013.
- “Investment Funds in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia,” Dow Jones Indexes Seminar: The Growth of Indexing in Saudi Arabia - Trends and Perspectives, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 1 March 2010 (presented with Zaid Al-Farisi).