J. Caleb Boggs III (“J.C.”) is a partner in the Government Advocacy and Public Policy practice at King & Spalding. With more than 25 years of experience in law, politics and public policy, Mr. Boggs is highly respected in the financial services policy world and represents financial institutions and other clients before Congress and the executive branch. Named Republican Lawyer of the Year in 2012, he is considered to be innovative, entrepreneurial and forward-thinking.
Chambers USA recognizes Mr. Boggs as a leader in government relations law and calls him "one of the most proficient attorneys on the scene." An integral component of a successful public policy practice is personal relationships; and by virtue of his years of experience as a trusted advisor on Capitol Hill and in private practice, Mr. Boggs has developed extensive legislative and executive branch contacts.
In 2009, President George W. Bush appointed Mr. Boggs to a six-year term as representative to the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes, an agency of the World Bank and leading international arbitration institution devoted to investor-State dispute settlement. He previously served as Legislative Counsel to the U.S. Senate Banking and Governmental Affairs committees, as well as Counsel to the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations.
Mr. Boggs has served on numerous not-for-profit boards over the years, including that of his high school, Kimball Union Academy, where he was Board Secretary and Chairman of the Committee on Trustees. In 2010, he established the Boggs Scholarship for Public Service at the University of Delaware, in honor of his grandfather and namesake, former Delaware Governor and United States Senator, J. Caleb Boggs.
Mr. Boggs is past-President of the Republican National Lawyers Association and remains an active member of its Board of Governors. He also serves on the National Finance Committee of the Republican Governors Association, and regularly advises candidates for state and federal elective office.
Mr. Boggs is a competitive open water swimmer and enjoys skiing, sailing and racquet sports. In 1990, he crewed a 54' ketch up the coast of Australia and was noted more recently for swimming competitively in all 50 states. His wife, Bhavana, is vice president and assistant general counsel of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, LLC.
- “Don’t Allow the Keystone Kops to Threaten U.S. Energy Independence,” Roll Call, May 9, 2013
- “The Future of U.S. Financial Regulation,” FedTech Magazine, May 10, 2013
- “How Better Data Improves Financial Oversight,” FedTech Magazine, May 2013
- “Analysis: Government's Moneyball Moment," Government Executive, December 2011
- "Dodd-Frank After One Year: Growing Pains," Harvard Business Law Review, July 2011
- Host Speaker, Washington Insight: Cybersecurity and Critical Infrastructure Protection (May 21, 2013)
- Panel Speaker, Recent Developments in Political Law: What You Need to Know about Complying with Federal and State Campaign Finance, Lobbying and Ethics Rules (March 20, 2013)
- Panel Speaker, Washington Insight Congressional Update: New Year, New Congress and a Second Term for President Obama (February 20, 2013)
- Panel Speaker, Washington Insight: Foreign Banks in the United States: Political and Legal Developments (February 7, 2013)
- Panel Speaker, Predicting the Impact of the 2012 Elections (November 7, 2012)
- Roundtable Moderator, Washington Insight: Getting to Know the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (October 17, 2012).
- Panel Moderator, Military, Overseas, Absentee and Early Voting, National Election Law Seminar, Sarasota, Florida (August 24, 2012).
- Moderator, Federal Data Center Roundtable, First Annual Data Center Investment Conference and Expo (July 24, 2012).
- Host Speaker, The Second Anniversary of Dodd-Frank, Capitol Visitor Center (July 20, 2012).
- Panelist, ABC's of the CFPB: Primer on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (June 21, 2012).
- Moderator, Micro-Credit Programs for People with Intellectual Disabilities, U.S. Agency for International Development (May 22, 2012).
- Panel Moderator, The Constitutionality of Dodd-Frank. RNLA National Policy Conference (April 20, 2012)
- Moderator, Federal Data Center Roundtable, Northern Virginia Data Center Outlook (February 2, 2012)
- Republican National Lawyers Association, Past-President and Board of Governors
- Jobs for America's Graduates, Pro Bono General Counsel
- Republican Governors Association, National Finance Committee
- National Cathedral School, Co-Chair, Middle School Annual Fund
- Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies
- Jobs for Delaware Graduates, Board of Directors
- Kimball Union Academy, Board of Trustees (2000-2010), Corporate Secretary and Chairman, Committee on Trustees