J.C. Boggs is a partner with the Government Advocacy and Public Policy group at King & Spalding and co-chairs the firm’s State Attorneys General practice. With more than 25 years of experience in law and public policy, Mr. Boggs is recognized by Chambers USA as “one of the most proficient attorneys on the scene.”
By virtue of his substantive expertise and long-standing relationships on Capitol Hill, Mr. Boggs enjoys a dynamic public policy practice representing technology and innovation companies before Congress and the executive branch in the areas of cybersecurity, data analytics, patent reform and e-government. In addition, he regularly interfaces with U.S. financial regulators and policymakers overseeing global and mobile payments, marketplace lending, crowdfunding, digital currency and distributed ledger technologies.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Boggs clerked for the Delaware Court of Chancery and served as legislative counsel to U.S. Senator William V. Roth, Jr. (R-DE) on the Banking and Governmental Affairs committees. While on Capitol Hill, he helped craft the Riegle-Neal Interstate Banking and Branching Act, and has advised clients on every major financial services bill over the past 20 years, including Gramm-Leach-Bliley, Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd-Frank. He frequently writes and speaks on legislative and regulatory issues of importance to the financial and technology sectors.
In 2009, Mr. Boggs received a Presidential appointment to the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes, an agency of the World Bank and world’s leading institution devoted to international investment dispute settlement. In recognition of his professional accomplishments, he was also named Republican Lawyer of the Year in 2012.
A strong supporter of education, Mr. Boggs has served on numerous boards over the years, including his high school alma mater, Kimball Union Academy, where he was board secretary and chairman of the committee on trustees. He is a founding director of the Global Center for Social Entrepreneurship Foundation and pro bono general counsel to Jobs for America’s Graduates. To honor his grandfather and namesake, former Delaware Governor and U.S. Senator J. Caleb Boggs, he established the Boggs Scholarship for Public Service at the University of Delaware.
A competitive open water swimmer, Mr. Boggs has been featured in the Washington Post for swimming in all 50 states. He competes annually in the 4.4 mile Great Chesapeake Bay Swim, and enjoys skiing, sailing and racquet sports. While working in Australia, Mr. Boggs crewed a 54' ketch more than one thousand nautical miles from Sydney to the Whitsunday Islands. His wife, Bhavana, is Vice President and Assistant General Counsel at Marriott International, Inc. They live in Washington, D.C.
Recent Articles and Publications
- “The Next Repeal And Replace: Dodd-Frank,” Forbes, January 28, 2017
- “Dodd-Frank Revisited – More Harm Than Good?”, Town Square Delaware, February 16, 2016
- “Debate on Patent Reform Legislation Continues in Congress: What You Need to Know,” Bloomberg BNA, August 12, 2015
- “Seven Steps for Greater Energy Industry Cybersecurity,” Houston Business Journal, March 4, 2015
- Views on Financial Services Sector Cybersecurity,” Bloomberg BNA Privacy & Security Law Report, March 2, 2015
- “The 4 Corners Of The Innovation Act Of 2015,” Law360, February 23, 2015
- “Financial Services Policy During The (Not So) Lame Duck,” Law360, December 23, 2014
- “Systemically Important Insurance Companies: The Need for an Impact Study,” Bloomberg BNA’s Banking Report, July 9, 2013
- “The Future of U.S. Financial Regulation,” FedTech Magazine, May 10, 2013
- “Don’t Allow the Keystone Kops to Threaten U.S. Energy Independence,” Roll Call, May 9, 2013
- “How Better Data Improves Financial Oversight,” FedTech Magazine, Spring 2013
- “Analysis: Government's Moneyball Moment," Government Executive, February 8, 2012
- "Dodd-Frank After One Year: Growing Pains," Harvard Business Law Review, July 28, 2011
- “Cybersecurity in Energy Industry Sectors,” Cyber Security and Technology Forum, Conference of Western Attorneys General, Park City, Utah, February 2 -3, 2017
- Speaker, International Conference on Cyberlaw, Cybercrime & Cybersecurity, New Delhi, India (November 17-18, 2016)
- Panelist, “Cybersecurity Roundtable Discussion with the Chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee,” Tech Law Talks, San Francisco, California (October 14, 2016)
- Panelist, “The Post-Obama Legal and Legislative Landscape,” 7th Annual Association of Corporate Counsel CLE Jamboree, Atlanta, Georgia (October 7, 2016)
- Moderator, “Panel Discussion with State Attorneys General Sam Olens, Sean Reyes and Alan Wilson,” RNLA 16th Annual Policy Conference, National Press Club, Washington, DC (May 6, 2016)
- Moderator, “U.S. Cybersecurity Policy with Rep. Lynn Westmoreland, Chairman, House Intelligence Subcommittee on NSA and Cybersecurity,” 2016 Cybersecurity & Privacy Summit, Atlanta, Georgia (April 25, 2016)
- Panelist, “U.S. Government Regulation of Bitcoin and other Digital Currencies,” CWAG Digital Currency Symposium, Park City, UT (February 4-5, 2016)
- Moderator, “Political and Regulatory Update,” Lead Director Network, New York, NY (January 28, 2016)
- Panelist, “FinTech Policy and Regulatory Outlook,” Digital Finance Roundtable, Washington, DC (December 7, 2015)
- Moderator, “State AG Investigations, Enforcement and Collaboration: What You Need To Know,” King & Spalding University e-Learn, Atlanta, GA (December 1, 2015)
- Host Speaker, “Global Money/Mobile Money: Advancing Financial Services Innovation and Inclusion,” Capitol Visitor Center, Washington, DC (November, 18, 2015)
- Moderator, “Dodd-Frank: 5 Years Later,” Money20/20 Conference, Las Vegas, NV (October 25-28, 2015)
- “Patent Reform 2015: Recent Developments in U.S. Legislation and Public Policy,” Fourth Annual King & Spalding Patent Seminar, Munich, Germany (May 6, 2015)
- “IP Counsel’s Role in Cybersecurity,” Fourth Annual King & Spalding Patent Seminar, Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski, Munich, Germany (May 6, 2015)
- “U.S. and International Legislative Perspectives,” 2015 Cybersecurity Summit, Atlanta, Georgia (April 20, 2015)
- “Cybersecurity in the Energy Sector: What You Need To Know,” Energy Forum with Hon. Mike McCaul, Chairman, House Homeland Security Committee, Houston, Texas (March 11, 2015)
- “Politics, Policy & Prospects: How Election Outcomes Impact the CFO,” CFO Forum, Atlanta, Georgia (December 10, 2014).
- Host Speaker, “2014 Cybersecurity Summit: Risks and Benefits in an Interconnected Economy,” Information Technology and Innovation Council, Washington, DC (October 1, 2014)
- “Cybersecurity, Privacy and Big Data: What Technology Companies Need to Know,” Women’s High Tech Coalition, Palo Alto, CA (July 17, 2014)
- “Legislative Overview of Patent Litigation Reform Legislation and a Look at U.S. Cybersecurity Policy,” King & Spalding Patent Seminar: A Summary of Recent Developments, Munich, Germany (May 22, 2014)
- King & Spalding University e-Learn Series, “Privacy, Data Management & Information Security – a Global Perspective” (May 2014)
- Speaker, "Scared Straight" Legislation and Regulation Likely to Impact the Lending Industry, Commercial Finance Association, Atlanta, Georgia (March 19, 2014)
- Speaker, The Affordable Care Act Four Years Later: Breaking Through or Breaking Bad?, 23rd Annual Health Law and Policy Form, Atlanta, Georgia (March 17, 2014)
- Speaker, “Nonbank SIFIs and Asset Managers: Enforcement and Compliance Issues in 2013,” The Knowledge Congress LIVE Webcast (November 15, 2013).
- Co-host, “Patent Litigation Reform and the Future of U.S. Innovation,” House Judiciary Committee, U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, D.C. (November 14, 2013).
- Speaker, “Washington Insight: NIST Cybersecurity Framework,” King & Spalding e-Learn (November 7, 2013).
- Moderator, Financial Services Policymakers Breakfast with Reps. Patrick McHenry and Robert Pittenger, Charlotte, NC (November 6, 2013).
- Panelist, "Security vs. Privacy - The BIG Fight," RSA Conference Europe 2013, Amsterdam RAI (October 31, 2013).
- Speaker, "Trending Now: Privacy and Cyber Security Policy in the U.S. and E.U.," RSA Conference Europe 2013, Amsterdam RAI (October 29, 2013).
- Moderator, Financial services industry update on Dodd-Frank, capital adequacy and the Volcker Rule, including the recent high volatility commercial real estate lending requirements, The Harvard Club, New York, NY (October 17, 2013).
- Moderator, Special Elections, Special Issues: Runoffs, Referendums and Redistricting, National Election Law Seminar, Chicago, IL (August 9, 2013).
- Host Speaker and Moderator, Financial Services Policy Forum: Dodd-Frank Implementation and the Future of GSEs, Capitol Visitor Center, Washington, DC (July 25, 2013)
- Host Speaker, Using Cloud Computing to Build Better and Cheaper Next-Generation Government Services, Capitol Visitor Center (July 10, 2013)
- Panel Speaker, Regulatory Coherence in Financial Services and Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, London, England (July 3, 2013)
- Host Speaker, Cybersecurity and Critical Infrastructure Protection, Washington, DC(May 21, 2013)
- Panel Speaker, Recent Developments in Political Law: What You Need to Know about Complying with Federal and State Campaign Finance, Lobbying and Ethics Rules (March 20, 2013)
- Panel Speaker, Foreign Banks in the United States: Political and Legal Developments (February 7, 2013)
- Roundtable Moderator, Getting to Know the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (October 17, 2012).
- Panel Moderator, Military, Overseas, Absentee and Early Voting, National Election Law Seminar, Sarasota, Florida (August 24, 2012).
- Moderator, Federal Data Center Roundtable, First Annual Data Center Investment Conference and Expo (July 24, 2012).
- Host Speaker, The Second Anniversary of Dodd-Frank, Capitol Visitor Center (July 20, 2012).
- Panelist, ABC's of the CFPB: Primer on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (June 21, 2012).
- Moderator, Micro-Credit Programs for People with Intellectual Disabilities, U.S. Agency for International Development (May 22, 2012).
- Panel Moderator, The Constitutionality of Dodd-Frank. RNLA National Policy Conference (April 20, 2012)
- Moderator, Federal Data Center Roundtable, Northern Virginia Data Center Outlook (February 2, 2012)