J. Caleb Boggs III (“J.C.”) is a partner with King & Spalding’s Government Advocacy and Public Policy practice group in Washington, D.C. With over 25 years of experience in law and public policy, Chambers USA recognizes Mr. Boggs as a leader in government relations law and commends him as "one of the most proficient attorneys on the scene."
Mr. Boggs served as counsel to the Senate Banking Committee and has advised clients on every major financial services bill in the past 20 years, including Gramm-Leach-Bliley, Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd-Frank. He regularly interfaces with federal and state financial regulators on a wide array of policy and institution-specific issues and is recognized for his experience in financial regulatory policy and knowledge of banking, securities, insurance, consumer finance, and housing finance law.
Mr. Boggs also served as legislative and investigative counsel to the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee, where he provided legal and policy advice on a wide range of matters relating to government management, privacy and information security, and lobbying and ethics rules. Mr. Boggs continues to represent technology clients before Congress and the executive branch on topics including cybersecurity, privacy, e-commerce, intellectual property and homeland security.
In 2009, Mr. Boggs was appointed by the President to a six-year term as U.S. representative to the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes, an agency of the World Bank and leading international arbitration institution devoted to investor-State dispute settlement, and has served on the Commission in a Paris-based proceeding between a U.S. domiciled oil and gas exploration and production company and the Republic of Cameroon.
Mr. Boggs is past-President of the Republican National Lawyers Association and remains an active member of its Board of Governors. He serves on the National Finance Committee of the Republican Governors Association, and regularly advises candidates for state and federal elective office. In 2012, Mr. Boggs was named Republican Lawyer of the Year in recognition of his accomplishments and contributions to the legal profession.
Mr. Boggs has served on numerous non-profit boards over the years, including that of his high school, Kimball Union Academy, where he was Board Secretary and Chairman of the Committee on Trustees. In 2010, he established the Boggs Scholarship for Public Service at the University of Delaware in honor of his grandfather and namesake, former Delaware Governor and United States Senator J. Caleb Boggs.
Mr. Boggs enjoys open water swimming, skiing, sailing and racquet sports. In 1990, he crewed a 54' ketch up the coast of Australia and in 2012 was recognized for swimming competitively in all 50 states. His wife, Bhavana, is vice president and assistant general counsel of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, LLC.
Recent Articles and Publications
- “Congress’ digitally enhanced divide,” The Hill, October 24, 2013
- “Systemically Important Insurance Companies: The Need for an Impact Study,” Bloomberg BNA’s Banking Report, July 9, 2013
- “The Future of U.S. Financial Regulation,” FedTech Magazine, May 10, 2013
- “Don’t Allow the Keystone Kops to Threaten U.S. Energy Independence,” Roll Call, May 9, 2013
- “How Better Data Improves Financial Oversight,” FedTech Magazine, Spring 2013
- “Analysis: Government's Moneyball Moment," Government Executive, February 8, 2012
- "Dodd-Frank After One Year: Growing Pains," Harvard Business Law Review, July 28, 2011
- “Cybersecurity, Privacy and Big Data: What Technology Companies Need to Know,” Women’s High Tech Coalition, Palo Alto, CA (July 17, 2014)
- King & Spalding University e-Learn Series, “Privacy, Data Management & Information Security – a Global Perspective” (May 2014)
- Speaker, "Scared Straight" Legislation and Regulation Likely to Impact the Lending Industry, Commercial Finance Association, Atlanta, Georgia (March 19, 2014)
- Speaker, The Affordable Care Act Four Years Later: Breaking Through or Breaking Bad?, 23rd Annual Health Law and Policy Form, Atlanta, Georgia (March 17, 2014)
- Speaker, “Nonbank SIFIs and Asset Managers: Enforcement and Compliance Issues in 2013,” The Knowledge Congress LIVE Webcast (November 15, 2013).
- Co-host, “Patent Litigation Reform and the Future of U.S. Innovation,” House Judiciary Committee, U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, D.C. (November 14, 2013).
- Speaker, “Washington Insight: NIST Cybersecurity Framework,” King & Spalding e-Learn (November 7, 2013).
- Moderator, Financial Services Policymakers Breakfast with Reps. Patrick McHenry and Robert Pittenger, Charlotte, NC (November 6, 2013).
- Panelist, "Security vs. Privacy - The BIG Fight," RSA Conference Europe 2013, Amsterdam RAI (October 31, 2013).
- Co-host, "Trending Now: Privacy and Cyber Security Policy in the U.S. and E.U.," RSA Conference Europe 2013, Amsterdam RAI (October 29, 2013).
- Moderator, Financial services industry update on Dodd-Frank, capital adequacy and the Volcker Rule, including the recent high volatility commercial real estate lending requirements, The Harvard Club, New York, NY (October 17, 2013).
- Moderator, Special Elections, Special Issues: Runoffs, Referendums and Redistricting, National Election Law Seminar, Chicago, IL (August 9, 2013).
- Host Speaker and Moderator, Financial Services Policy Forum: Dodd-Frank Implementation and the Future of GSEs, Capitol Visitor Center, Washington, DC (July 25, 2013)
- Host Speaker, Using Cloud Computing to Build Better and Cheaper Next-Generation Government Services, Capitol Visitor Center (July 10, 2013)
- Panel Speaker, Regulatory Coherence in Financial Services and Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, London, England (July 3, 2013)
- Host Speaker, Cybersecurity and Critical Infrastructure Protection, Washington, D.C.(May 21, 2013)
- Panel Speaker, Recent Developments in Political Law: What You Need to Know about Complying with Federal and State Campaign Finance, Lobbying and Ethics Rules (March 20, 2013)
- Panel Speaker, Congressional Update: New Year, New Congress and a Second Term for President Obama (February 20, 2013)
- Panel Speaker, Foreign Banks in the United States: Political and Legal Developments (February 7, 2013)
- Panel Speaker, Predicting the Impact of the 2012 Elections (November 7, 2012)
- Roundtable Moderator, Getting to Know the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (October 17, 2012).
- Panel Moderator, Military, Overseas, Absentee and Early Voting, National Election Law Seminar, Sarasota, Florida (August 24, 2012).
- Moderator, Federal Data Center Roundtable, First Annual Data Center Investment Conference and Expo (July 24, 2012).
- Host Speaker, The Second Anniversary of Dodd-Frank, Capitol Visitor Center (July 20, 2012).
- Panelist, ABC's of the CFPB: Primer on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (June 21, 2012).
- Moderator, Micro-Credit Programs for People with Intellectual Disabilities, U.S. Agency for International Development (May 22, 2012).
- Panel Moderator, The Constitutionality of Dodd-Frank. RNLA National Policy Conference (April 20, 2012)
- Moderator, Federal Data Center Roundtable, Northern Virginia Data Center Outlook (February 2, 2012)