Cedric Soule is an associate in King & Spalding’s Paris office and has been involved in over 20 international commercial arbitrations and investment treaty disputes, conducted in English, French and Spanish, under the arbitration rules of ICSID, UNCITRAL and the ICC. Cedric also has experience in ICSID annulment proceedings and with the enforcement of arbitral awards before the French courts.
Cedric read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at the University of Oxford, was on the Dean’s Honor List at McGill University Faculty of Law, and studied at the National University of Singapore. Cedric was Senior Editor of the McGill International Journal of Sustainable Development and is trilingual in English, French and Spanish.
- Currently representing a French environmental services company against a sovereign State in an ICSID arbitration regarding its investments in the public cleanliness industry in the Middle East
- Currently representing a Turkish telecommunications company in international litigation against a South African telecommunications company regarding the award of a GSM license in the Middle East
- Currently representing a global corporation against a South American travel agency in an ICC arbitration regarding trademark infringements
- Currently representing, on a pro bono basis, an international agricultural biotech foundation that has received the largest Gates grant given to an African entity
- Successfully represented a Russian private power supply management company against Swedish and Russian corporations in an ICC arbitration regarding the expansion of a combined heat and power facility in Russia (obtained favorable settlement for the client)
- Successfully represented a Saudi businessman against a British national in an ICC arbitration regarding the alleged breach of several contracts (obtained favorable settlement for the client)
- Represented a sovereign State against a Russian investor in an UNCITRAL arbitration regarding shares in an oil refinery in the CIS
- Represented an Australian mining company against a North African state-owned enterprise in an ICC arbitration regarding breaches of a joint venture agreement
- Previously involved in disputes under the ICSID, UNCITRAL and ICC rules related to the mining, telecommunications, energy, duty free, dairy, hotel management, press, defense and luxury industries
- “Lexology Navigator Q&A: Arbitration – France,” July 24, 2014 (co-authors Eric Schwartz and Héloïse Hervé)
- “The Criminal Prosecution of Corporate Executives by Host States in Connection with Investment Arbitration Proceedings,” Lex Petrolea: the international energy arbitration newsletter, Q2 2014 Issue 2 (co-author Harry Burnett)
- “Recent Damages Awards, EDF International S.A. et al. v. Argentine Republic,” Quantum Quarterly: the damages newsletter, Q2 2013, Issue 5
- “Case Comment – Slovak Republic v. Eureko B.V., OberLandesGericht Frankfurt (10 May 2012)”, 2012 (4) Les Cahiers de l’Arbitrage – The Paris Journal of Arbitration 769 (co-author John Gaffney)
- “France’s new Arbitration Law successfully streamlines the arbitral process”, Commercial Dispute Resolution, Q2 2011 Issue 4 (co-author Bertrand Derains)