Opened in 2015 and located in the heart of Japan’s premier business district, King & Spalding Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi Jimusho (King & Spalding Tokyo office) is the firm’s 18th overall since its founding over 125 years ago. Our lawyers in Tokyo advise Japanese and Korean companies and financial institutions across a broad range of complex infrastructure, energy and natural resources matters around the world. The office is active on matters and projects throughout Asia, North and South America, Africa, the Middle East, and Europe.
Comprehensive, Fully Integrated Practices
Our Tokyo team advises on all aspects across the life of infrastructure and energy and resources projects. With fully integrated teams, our lawyers specialize in:
- Energy and resources – LNG (liquefaction and regasification terminals and shipping), FLNG, FSRU, FPSO and gas pipelines, petrochemicals, upstream oil & gas, power generation facilities, and mining
- Infrastructure development – rail, road, air, and seaport terminals
- Dispute resolution – investor-state and complex commercial arbitration, strategic management of foreign national court litigation, governmental investigations, the design of corporate compliance programmes, sanctions advice, and other contentious regulatory matters
- Finance – project finance, asset finance, ECA finance, and ship finance
- Corporate – M&A, private investment funds, and joint ventures
King & Spalding Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi Jimusho (King & Spalding Tokyo office) consists of a core team of partners who are well-known in the Japanese and Asia Pacific market. They have more than two decades’ experience representing major Japanese and Korean participants in the energy and resources sector, including export credit agencies and financial institutions, as well as some of the region’s largest trading houses, power and gas utility companies, and other blue-chip project sponsors and participants. They also have extensive experience advising and supporting clients in the resolution of disputes, with particular expertise in energy and resources, infrastructure, transport and trade, and IP disputes.
John McClenahan – Managing Partner of King & Spalding Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi Jimusho (King & Spalding Tokyo office)
- Has worked in Tokyo for over 20 years.
- Specialises in project development and project financing of infrastructure and energy projects, with particular expertise in power, FPSO, gas, and LNG projects.
- Regularly advises ECA and commercial lenders, sponsors, project companies, and contractors on all aspects of projects, from bidding to financial close, covering projects throughout Asia, South America, the Middle East, Africa, and Europe.
- Regularly advises clients on acquisition finance, cross-border M&A, and joint ventures.
Mark Davies – Transactions Partner
- Has worked in Japan for more than 15 years.
- Specialises in project finance, asset finance and acquisition finance, as well as M&A, cross-border acquisitions and divestments, joint ventures, and private investment funds.
- Regularly advises ECAs, commercial banks, and project sponsors on the development and financing of energy and infrastructure projects, including transactions involving power plants, oil and gas, FPSOs, FSRUs, LNG vessels, and other types of ships.
- Regularly advises trading companies, banks, corporates, investment funds and private equity investors on cross-border acquisitions, disposals. joint ventures, and private equity transactions.
- Regularly advises fund sponsors and fund managers on the structuring and formation of private investment funds and advises governmental institutions, multilateral agencies, and private equity investors on their investments into private investment funds.
Christopher Bailey – Disputes Partner
- International arbitration practitioner and solicitor advocate with nine years of experience in Japan.
- Represents Japanese and Korean clients on their global disputes in the energy, resource, transport, infrastructure, financial service, media, and IT sectors.
- Practice also extends to contentious regulatory, sanctions, compliance, and investigations work.
- Significant experience in major African and Middle Eastern corruption investigations before regulators, including the U.S. Department of Justice and the UK Serious Fraud Office.
Rupert Lewi – Transactions Partner
- More than 12 years of experience in Japan.
- Practices primarily in the oil and gas, LNG and mining areas, with a focus on corporate and asset acquisitions and divestments, project structuring and project development.
- Represents a wide range of Japanese and Korean trading companies and gas and electric utility companies with overseas investments in the resources sector covering Australia, Asia-Pacific and Africa.
- King & Spalding was selected as one of five finalists by Chambers Global for its 2015 Global Energy/Projects: Oil & Gas Firm of the Year.
- “[King & Spalding] is a strong energy brand – particularly in LNG.” – Chambers Asia Pacific 2015
- King & Spalding is ranked as one of the top five global law firms serving as arbitration counsel in 2015. – Global Arbitration Review
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2015 includes seven King & Spalding practice rankings, with 10 lawyers earning 19 individual recognitions.
- “John McClenahan is a highly regarded project finance specialist, with long experience in the Tokyo legal market.” – Chambers Global 2015
- Power Development – Advising Japan Bank for International Cooperation and commercial lenders as common counsel in relation to the $622 million financing of the 920 MW gas-fired combined cycle power project in Thailand developed by Khanom Electricity Generating Company Limited, a subsidiary of Thailand’s first independent power producer.
- M&A – Advised KOGAS on its acquisition of a 15% interest in the Gladstone LNG project in Queensland Australia, and in relation to its participation in the LNG Canada Project and Prelude LNG Project.
- Gas Pipelines – Advised Daewoo International, KOGAS, GAIL (India), and OVL on the development of the Shwe Gas Pipeline Project, the largest project to date in Myanmar.
- FPSO Development and Financing – Advised on more than 17 project development and project financings of oil FPSO projects in Brazil, Australia, Vietnam, Ghana, and the Ivory Coast for MODEC, Mitsui & Co., Ltd., Marubeni Corporation, Mitsubishi Corporation, and Mitsui OSK Lines.
- LNG Liquefaction Project Financing – Advised Japan Bank for International Cooperation, Korea Exim Bank, and commercial lenders on the project financing of the Donggi-Senoro LNG Project in Indonesia.
- Upstream Gas – Advised Mitsubishi Corporation on its participation in a gas aggregation project in Papua New Guinea.
- Private Equity and Investment Funds – Advised Mitsui & Co., Ltd.’s wholly owned subsidiary, Japan Alternative Investments Co., Ltd., on the structuring and formation of the Westbourne Infrastructure Debt Opportunities Fund and advised Mitsui on its acquisition of a stake in Westbourne Capital.
*These matters were handled when lawyers were at another firm prior to joining King & Spalding. Due to confidentiality and as a courtesy to our Japanese clients, contentious matters are excluded from this list.