King & Spalding lawyers in our London, Frankfurt and Paris offices have vast experience representing Middle Eastern investors acquiring real estate in the UK and throughout continental Europe. This workshop is an opportunity for those who invest or manage real estate investments in Europe to engage with some of these lawyers. You will learn how a Qatari investor typically structures its European real estate investments in the U.K., France and Germany, optimal holding structures, tax issues relating to making, holding and disposing of real estate investments and how real estate investments are typically financed on a conventional and Shari’ah-compliant basis.
Registration is free of charge; however, spaces will be limited to 30 guests.
King & Spalding
Four Seasons Hotel Doha
P.O. Box 24665
Tel : +974 4 494 8888
Fax : +974 4 494 8222
8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. / Breakfast and Welcome
9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. / Presentation – Overview of structuring issues and tax issues faced by a Qatari investor acquiring European real estate.
10:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. / Coffee
11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. / Workshop – interactive workshop during which presenters and guests will discuss an actual acquisition of real estate in the UK, France & Germany by a Qatari investor. The workshop will cover investment structuring (including optimal holding structures), taxation issues and typical financing arrangements (both conventional and Shari’ah-compliant).
12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. / Lunch
- Benoît Marcilhacy, Partner, Real Estate - Benoît Marcilhacy is a partner in the Capital Transactions and Real Estate practice in the Paris office – Mr. Marcilhacy’s practice includes a variety of corporate real estate work, and is centered on the acquisitions and sales of structured property folios, sales and leasebacks and the establishment of real estate funds (SIIC, OPCI...) as well as complex development deals.
- Pascal Schmitz, Partner, Real Estate - Pascal Schmitz is a French qualified partner based in the firm's Paris office. Mr. Schmitz has more than 20 years experience in all aspects of commercial real estate and real estate finance, including corporate and investment property acquisitions and disposals, acquisition financing and joint ventures.
- Mario Leissner, Real Estate and Managing Partner of the Frankfurt office - Mario Leissner is Managing Partner and founder of King & Spalding’s German office in Frankfurt am Main, a partner in the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group, and a member of King & Spalding’s International Strategy Committee. With over 15 years of experience, Mr. Leissner specializes in international and German real estate transactions, regulatory and investment law as well as fund structuring. His practice also involves international taxation, corporate and financing work.
- Nigel Heilpern, Partner, Real Estate - Nigel Heilpern is a real estate partner resident in King & Spalding’s London office, and head of the London-based real estate practice. Mr. Heilpern’s practice covers real estate law and he has extensive experience in complex real estate finance deals, both on the equity, banking and restructuring side of the transactions. He represents real estate opportunity funds as well as major investment banks on their European real estate investment programs; advises on the formation of funds as well as financing of real estate and general development work.
- Kevin Conway, Partner, Tax - Kevin Conway is a partner in King & Spalding’s Tax Group based in the London Office. Mr. Conway advises on the UK and international tax treatment and structuring of UK and cross-border corporate transactions including mergers, acquisitions, disposals, private equity funds (including Shari’ah-compliant funds), LBO’s, real estate funds, partnerships, IPO’s, joint ventures and restructurings.
- Axel Schilder, Partner, Tax - Axel Schilder is a Partner in King & Spalding's Frankfurt office and a member of the firm's Tax Practice Group. Dr. Schilder advises companies, funds and individuals in Germany, Luxembourg, the United States, the United Kingdom and France on all German and international tax aspects of their fund formation, inward and outbound investments, real estate and corporate transactions as well as financings (including NPL-transactions). He advises closed- and open-ended German and international real estate funds as well as multinational corporations on international and investment tax issues arising from cross-border and fund investment. He also advises on VAT optimization structures, tax audits and tax fraud.
- Jawad Ali, Global Deputy Head, Islamic Finance Practice and Managing Partner of the Middle East offices - Mr. Ali has substantial experience in representing clients in the development and implementation of complex, cross-border Shari’ah-compliant financing and investment structures.
- Isam Salah, Global Head of the Islamic Finance Practice and a senior finance partner in King & Spalding’s New York and Dubai offices - Mr. Salah’s practice covers a broad range of international and domestic finance and investment matters, with particular emphasis for the past fifteen years on the structuring of Shari’ah-compliant finance and investment transactions.
For questions about this event, contact Judith Burcham at firstname.lastname@example.org or +971 4 377 9914.
We hope you will be able to join us.